I want an AK - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > I want an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 10

First of all I can't believe anyone hasn't told you or your friends that ALL Century and Arsenal AKs are JUNK! If you are really in the market for an AK then you need to look at the Chinese - PolyTechs and Norinco's, the Egyptian - MAADI's (pre-ban), or the older Russian (pre-ban). There were also some pre-ban Romanian's that were good from what I hear, but I've never shot one myself. I have had several friends who have had jamming and magazine fitting issues with the Arsenal and Century AKs you are referring to.

I wold recommend Chinese because you can definitely find one out there, and to stay away from any AKs that got chopped up by customs to become 922r compliant. There are enough pre-ban AKs out there that there is no need to buy something that is 922r compliant, at least in my opinion. You will pay between $500 - $2000 but no matter what you spend it's worth the $. If you look hard enough you might even come across one at a gun show for about $300. Every now and then you can find one with a milled receiver as well. Most of these are collectors items, but worth it for the right price. Since we are not in combat everyday of our lives you will be perfectly fine with a stamped receiver. The reliability of the AK is unmatched.

I have both an AK and AR15/M4 and if SHTF I would grab my AK, but the M4 is a lot of fun too. Now there are a few manufacturers who produce an AR platform that fires the 7.62x39 round, which is amazing, as well as the rifle that Sig has released (556r) which is basically an updated version of the AK. The Sig 556r goes for about $1100 I believe, and it accepts AK mags.

Hope this will help you out on your journey for the right rifle.

Last edited by OH_AKguy_937; 04-15-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_AKguy_937
First of all I can't believe anyone hasn't told you or your friends that ALL Century and Arsenal AKs are JUNK!rifle.
I disagree, i've had multiple century wasr 10s over the years and although they certainly aren't top shelf, i've never had ANY problems with any of them.

I got my hands on one of their new centurion 39s a while ago and it's hands down the best AK i've ever shot. I've put the worst ammo i could find through it with no problems whatsoever, and it's more accurate than my norinco sks.

Last edited by PlaysWithZombies; 04-15-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_AKguy_937 View Post
... no matter what you spend it's worth the $.
I respectfully disagree, particularly with this part. It depends on what the buyer needs from the rifle; an inexpensive WASR will meet the needs of many people.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #14

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I respectfully disagree, particularly with this part. It depends on what the buyer needs from the rifle; an inexpensive WASR will meet the needs of many people.
Ive handled several of those WASR's and they seem to be pretty solid, of course i cant say 100% that they are any good cause ive never fired one but id love to get one.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #15

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout View Post
ok i dont know wich way to go AK47 or AK74 also what brand. and i am oppen to other guns of a similar price range so 400$-1000$.
First a few questions what are you going to use your AK for?
I hope not home defense AKs have way too much penetration for that, unless you live way out in the sticks. Last time I checked Cincinnati, Ohio wasn't out in the sticks. Even the AK74 with the right ammo will penetrate 1/2" steel 100yds out. The AK47 with plastic ammo will go through a wood 2x4, I know because I have done it.
But if you want an AK for target shooting & having fun plinking with it that sounds great. I can't tell you where to buy from because after buying a WASR10 first I decided to start building my own. Not that the WASR was that bad of a rifle, just for the money (at that time) I could build better.
If you are wanting something with knock-down power go with the 47. If you want cheap ammo & decent accuracy go with the 74.
If you need a good cheek weld when you do accurate target shooting stay away from the side folders & under folders they tend to wobble or flex when you pull them down tight. If you want to shoot long range try going with a PSL or RPK the longer barrel helps a lot. If you live in the sticks & want an AK for home defense, or want a small behind the seat truck gun check out some of the side-folding & under-folding variants of both AK47s & AK74s.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
If you live in the sticks & want an AK for home defense, or want a small behind the seat truck gun check out some of the side-folding & under-folding variants of both AK47s & AK74s.
Maybe even one of those AK "pistols", the "Draco". I could see using one of those inside a house before most AK variants, though the muzzle flash would be horrendus & over-penetration would be an issue in populated areas.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bought a WASR about three years ago...nothing fancy about it. Have fed it steel-case Wolf as well as brass Winchester white box. Probably 1000 rounds through it. Had three Failure to Enter Battery malfunctions my first time out, traced to a bad mag. Has gone "bang" every time I've pulled the trigger since. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_AKguy_937
First of all I can't believe anyone hasn't told you or your friends that ALL Century and Arsenal AKs are JUNK! If you are really in the market for an AK then you need to look at the Chinese - PolyTechs and Norinco's, the Egyptian - MAADI's (pre-ban), or the older Russian (pre-ban). There were also some pre-ban Romanian's that were good from what I hear, but I've never shot one myself. I have had several friends who have had jamming and magazine fitting issues with the Arsenal and Century AKs you are referring to.

I wold recommend Chinese because you can definitely find one out there, and to stay away from any AKs that got chopped up by customs to become 922r compliant. There are enough pre-ban AKs out there that there is no need to buy something that is 922r compliant, at least in my opinion. You will pay between $500 - $2000 but no matter what you spend it's worth the $. If you look hard enough you might even come across one at a gun show for about $300. Every now and then you can find one with a milled receiver as well. Most of these are collectors items, but worth it for the right price. Since we are not in combat everyday of our lives you will be perfectly fine with a stamped receiver. The reliability of the AK is unmatched.

I have both an AK and AR15/M4 and if SHTF I would grab my AK, but the M4 is a lot of fun too. Now there are a few manufacturers who produce an AR platform that fires the 7.62x39 round, which is amazing, as well as the rifle that Sig has released (556r) which is basically an updated version of the AK. The Sig 556r goes for about $1100 I believe, and it accepts AK mags.

Hope this will help you out on your journey for the right rifle.
Are you serious century arms takes Romanian ak's and throws a better trigger in them that is it. Get your info right

Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #19

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

My Century GP1975 shoots dependably. Nary a FTF or FTE in over

500 rounds.

IMHO, you limit yourself seriously on imports if

you believe that internet "all CAI is junk"

urban legend.

Century has had a couple problems, in contrast to

the fact they are one of the largest importers.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would be for shtf mostly but in the part of the city where i live if obama dose not get re elected it could get bad fast. so it could be for home defense but i would shoot down the stairs into my front porch if posible and if not i woulnt use the ak if i could avoid it ill probly go with the 12.
but yes mostly shtf/ obama dose or dose not get re elected we might need it either way.