Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > I want an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I want an AK

ok i dont know wich way to go AK47 or AK74 also what brand. and i am oppen to other guns of a similar price range so 400$-1000$.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3746

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout View Post
ok i dont know wich way to go AK47 or AK74 also what brand. and i am oppen to other guns of a similar price range so 400$-1000$.
AK-74. Tantal or Arsenal.

But if you have $1000 to spend, a good AR would be even better. Especially a Colt.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

I was in the same boat as you before I bought mine. I ended up going with the Arsenal SGL-31 (AK74), but looking back I wish I went with the AK47 model first. Speaking from experience with an Arsenal, the quality of the products are nice. Mags for the 47 are cheaper and everywhere too. Keep that in mind

Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #4

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have an AK that has been shot a good deal over the past 40 years. This one was made in the U.S. back in the 1970s. The old AK only FTF when I feed it Hollow points. I like the AK. That said my Colt Prebans are far more useful rifles.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #5

Liked 2200 Times on 1263 Posts
Likes Given: 1787

Shoot a few AKs and SKSs before you buy.

You may prefer the SKS, or an AK

barreled in 5.56 or 5.45. (YES, BOTH are available.)

Try to get what you really want the first time.

Then you'll have enough money for spare ammo,

and to buy me a beer or 9...

Old 04-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an Arsenal AK which I bought for $850.
It's an absolutely great weapon, no issues after approx 3000 rounds

Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #7

I bought a EAA zestava pap single stack ak. And loved it they go around 3.75 or so. Then my buddy showed me his yugo sks with the tapco ts stock and 20 round detachable mags. I went and shot it. The thing was awesome so my ak was sold. I bought a yugo sks took the bayonet off. Got the tapco stock got all 922r parts put a bipod on it go the weaver receiver plate with scope rails got a reflex sight for it. The whole thing of buying parts and redoing it and i have less then 600 I'n everthing and it's gonna be decked out. I should finish it tonight and I'll post pix. As was said before me, go to a shop or a range or find friends with them and try them out. So you don't buy one like me then find something you want more and all that. Good luck finding what you want.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #8

I ment 375 not 3.75. Lol i wish

Old 04-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
I bought a EAA zestava pap single stack ak. And loved it they go around 3.75 or so. Then my buddy showed me his yugo sks with the tapco ts stock and 20 round detachable mags. I went and shot it. The thing was awesome so my ak was sold. I bought a yugo sks took the bayonet off. Got the tapco stock got all 922r parts put a bipod on it go the weaver receiver plate with scope rails got a reflex sight for it. The whole thing of buying parts and redoing it and i have less then 600 I'n everthing and it's gonna be decked out. I should finish it tonight and I'll post pix. As was said before me, go to a shop or a range or find friends with them and try them out. So you don't buy one like me then find something you want more and all that. Good luck finding what you want.
If your Yugo SKS has the grenade launcher on the muzzle have you tried launching practice grenades? I have & it is a lot of fun.
I use these blister packed blanks to launch these practice grenades

Old 04-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 3326 Posts
Likes Given: 4788

OP,
What do you want it to do? IOW will this be a fungun for targets and plinking cans, or do you plan on some hog hunting, or are you looking for a SHTF defensive rifle?

A buddy of mine has a relatively inexpensive WASR10 AK-type rifle from Romania, imported & modified by Century Arms; it is GREAT fun for plinking and such and wouldn't be bad for home defense (dude lives in the sticks) and wouldn't be bad for hunting hogs & such. It is NOT the most accurate or most "authentic-looking" AK-type rifle, but it is more than adequate for dude's needs. The more expensive models may be a liiiiiittle more accurate, but his is no slouch.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p