How many rounds will the AK take......

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > How many rounds will the AK take......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How many rounds will the AK take......

Last year my buddy(bearded guy) Decided to see really how bad corrosive ammo is on a rifle that was designed and built with shooting only corrosive ammo in mind. So on the first of this year he made a resolution to fire one tin of 5.45x39mm 7n6 corrosive ammo (1,080 rds) every month without cleaning the rifle for one year, for a grand total of 12,960 rds through the rifle. We got 6,480 rds through it by about june, and got a little bored so we decided to see what the rifle could really take! we loaded up 40 30rd magazines and this is the result, The rifle is a saiga 5.45 converted back to original military configuration

......24 full magazines and 17 rounds of the 25 mag, in about 6m20s. 737 rds total in the Florida heat lol
more amazingly...........

Shooting continues.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #2

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Welcome to FTF . Awesome video... I got a ?

How do AK's run full auto in firefights but catch on fire in semi ???? soldiers/rebels let them cool between mags or ?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Damn that's crazy **** man welcome to the forum also

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #4

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post

How do AK's run full auto in firefights but catch on fire in semi ???? soldiers/rebels let them cool between mags or ?

People put a bunch of lube under the guard for effect.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember seeing this video posted a couple years ago on a different forum.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post

Thanks guys, Because nobody expends that volume of fire in firefights in that amount of time, 737rds in 6m20s, most engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers may only expend 4 or 5 magazines over the course of anywhere between 3-10 minutes, like wise with the insurgency. As a m249 gunner in the marine corps i would not have expended that many rounds in a real engagement with suppressing fire.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Damn that's crazy **** man welcome to the forum also
Glad you liked it, Thanks man.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
People put a bunch of lube under the guard for effect.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember seeing this video posted a couple years ago on a different forum.
We put no lube under the hand guards, wood will start burning when its close to 5-700 degrees lol. I just made the video in june of 2012.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Must be my mistake. There have been a lot of those videos out there.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunsuspecting View Post
Thanks guys, Because nobody expends that volume of fire in firefights in that amount of time, 737rds in 6m20s, most engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers may only expend 4 or 5 magazines over the course of anywhere between 3-10 minutes, like wise with the insurgency. As a m249 gunner in the marine corps i would not have expended that many rounds in a real engagement with suppressing fire.
Agree.

Now we know why the shortage in AK74 mags and 7N6 ammo. Maybe its me, but I couldn't afford to waste .22LR ammo or a .22 gun on such a stunt.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #10

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

All that means is if you take reasonable care of your AK it will last forever!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton