Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > How do i remove the wood on my Yugo M70 AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The front upper/lower handguards of your Zastava PAP come off like any AK - nothing speial here aside from the length of the HGs.

The fixed butt of the PAP is the PITA if yours is like what I have read of on the net...
That is; there is a bolt that passes thru the butt into a trunnion inside the tail of the recvr. This is unlike any other stamped-recvr AKM 'cept the Yugos.

Also atypical is the rubber "recoil" butt pad glued to the butt. This makes it difficult to get to the bolt hidden in a recess beneath it without first removing the pad.

Be careful with the re-finish as it may be a beech - which can be a challenge. If I were to bet, it was probably already finished in a thin shellac over the wood.

ETA: They did not install a factory rear sling swivel on the Zastava PAPs. Normal AKM convention is to put it on the stock of fixed butts, while on fixed butt PAPs it is supposed to be mounted low on the left rear of the recvr.

Last edited by nfafan; 11-29-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #12

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isis0927 View Post
I wish you'd stop posting those pics of your Yugo on here.. It's getting old, and I reallllly want it!! That this is effing beautiful..
Please accept my apology, I wanted him to compare his to the actual pre-ban and didn't think he ever seen mine. Thanks for the compliment.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Plenty of you tube videos, not sure what your problem is but after I had my stocks in hand it was close to impossible to twist 90 degrees to get off the tube. I used vise grips covered with a piece of garden hose to grab the tube while the guard was lightly held in a vise. Also, my son tried a refinish in a different Ak scenario and it gets tacky under heavy fire, maybe consider a natural finish