Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > How do i remove the wood on my Yugo M70 AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default How do i remove the wood on my Yugo M70 AK?

Might be a dumb question but my Yugo M 70 isn't like normal AK 47 rifles I don't know how to remove the stock and front grip wood.. I want to sand the wood and throw some clear on it..need help thank you!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here's my Yugo M70 AK

image-2950758046.jpg

Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #3

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I suggest you delay removing the forend to sand and clear coat. I don't see a grenade launching sight on your rifle, which seems to be on all the Yugos made from parts these days. Many didn't have side rails and usually the large wood grips are seen on them. If it's a pre-ban(1989) American Arms( a little over 400 imported), or Mitchell Arms import(400 underfolders imported) like I have, you'll hurt the value. Think twice before touching it.
Pre-Ban Mitchell underfolder

Pre-ban Mitchell folder.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
I suggest you delay removing the forend to sand and clear coat. I don't see a grenade launching sight on your rifle, which seems to be on all the Yugos made from parts these days. Many didn't have side rails and usually the large wood grips are seen on them. If it's a pre-ban(1989) American Arms( a little over 400 imported), or Mitchell Arms import(400 underfolders imported) like I have, you'll hurt the value. Think twice before touching it.

Pre-ban Mitchell folder.
Nice rifle! Then you think I should leave the wood? Also where can I get a rear sling attachment like yours? There's only one in the front..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #5

I don't know why the sling swivel is gone. You'll have to search the internet for Yugo parts. There's plenty out there selling all kinds of parts and you should be able to find one sooner or later. What's the name of the importer on the receiver and is any of the one's I listed on there? If none of the above then your rifle isn't a pre-ban though still nice and you can make any changes you want to it.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #6

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you can find some spare grips, maybe do your handy work on those and keep the originals incase you ever decide to put them back on and sell the thing. I haven't looked but I would bet that there is some guy on you tube who can teach you how they come off.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I don't know why the sling swivel is gone. You'll have to search the internet for Yugo parts. There's plenty out there selling all kinds of parts and you should be able to find one sooner or later. What's the name of the importer on the receiver and is any of the one's I listed on there? If none of the above then your rifle isn't a pre-ban though still nice and you can make any changes you want to it.
It's from Century Arms its called the Zastava Yugo M70 Pap rifle..I don't think it's pre ban..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman
If you can find some spare grips, maybe do your handy work on those and keep the originals incase you ever decide to put them back on and sell the thing. I haven't looked but I would bet that there is some guy on you tube who can teach you how they come off.
Looked on YouTube no videos on this particular AK variant..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #9

Contact Century Arms for any part you need. As a matter of fact maybe you can speak to someone there who might help you over the phone regarding removing the furniture. At least now you know it isn't pre-ban. Good luck with it.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Pre-ban Mitchell folder.
I wish you'd stop posting those pics of your Yugo on here.. It's getting old, and I reallllly want it!! That this is effing beautiful..