How come saiga ak's dont look like other ak's? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > How come saiga ak's dont look like other ak's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
i Have been wanting to buy an ak varient rifle for ariund 600$ but all of the rifles ive seen latley are very sloppy feeling/looking. they look used and some have scratches and canted sights loose mag wobble i want a brand new nice and shiny ak so i was looking at the saigas but the hangard is ugly! It dosent look like a traditional ak hanguard it covers the gas tube kinda. Is it possible to make the saiga ak look a little more (traditional)?? Dies anyone have a saiga ak that looks like a traditional ak? Do you just need to swap out handguards? How did you do it? Please post pics!
I have a wasr that I bought right after the craze started. Paid $800, whatever. My steel mags are sloppy which I prefer. The tapcos are perfectly snug. Here she is. I finished the furniture, swapped the grip, and added the bayonet, you know, for home defense.
image-559478434.jpg  

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #12

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Atleast its sumthin!

Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #13

Liked 1038 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Atleast its sumthin!
The WASR is a lot more than that. At the low end of the AK field people have long been laboring over buying the Saiga or WASR. The Saiga is well made but needs conversion from sporter if you want an AKM clone. The WASR is a little sloppy but usually is ready to go out of the box. I went WASR-10/63 over five years ago and never have been sorry. The only bad thing today is the price.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This is my saiga. I ordered it from buds and did the conversion myself. One thing about going this route is you learn just about everything you need to know about the platform. I had little to no experience when I did my conversion with modifying firearms...but a few YouTube videos and I think I did a pretty damn good job. Converting your own saiga is an economical, educating, and fun project.

forumrunner_20130224_111838.jpg

Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

That is a pretty damn good job! What kind of rail is that? Do you need to take off the rail in order to pop off the dust cover? How did you get that rail on there? Do your optics hold zero on that rail? Is i wobbly? Please tell me thats kick ass how much did you pay for that?

Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
That is a pretty damn good job! What kind of rail is that? Do you need to take off the rail in order to pop off the dust cover? How did you get that rail on there? Do your optics hold zero on that rail? Is i wobbly? Please tell me thats kick ass how much did you pay for that?
Its a beryl mount rail, I got it from ctd a few months back. The rail replaces the rear iron sight, so the rail works on a hinge....flips up to remove the dust cover. Its held down by the rear tang bolt. Cost me around $50 and holds zero very well. Its got an adjustment screw that helps hold it nice and tight. I like it a lot.