How come saiga ak's dont look like other ak's?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > How come saiga ak's dont look like other ak's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

i Have been wanting to buy an ak varient rifle for ariund 600$ but all of the rifles ive seen latley are very sloppy feeling/looking. they look used and some have scratches and canted sights loose mag wobble i want a brand new nice and shiny ak so i was looking at the saigas but the hangard is ugly! It dosent look like a traditional ak hanguard it covers the gas tube kinda. Is it possible to make the saiga ak look a little more (traditional)?? Dies anyone have a saiga ak that looks like a traditional ak? Do you just need to swap out handguards? How did you do it? Please post pics!

Last edited by hq357; 12-05-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Because to meet import criteria they have to be in a "sporting" configuration and be absent of certain military features.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

They are imported In a hunting configuration to comply with some silly import laws thoughtfully bestowed upon us by the GUB'MENT.

Once bought and shipped here they can be converted back to their originally designed configuration by removing the mounting bracket that the factory stock attaches to and replacing it with an aftermarket part for mounting stocks typically used with a pistol grip. You then remove and replace the fire control group with a original AK variant kit after you remove a bolted on plate covering the holes that they correspond too which are more forward of the saiga trigger hole and FCG. You then install a pistol grip of choice using a grip nut where the saiga trigger and FCG were located,directly behind the new trigger and FCG. Last step is too install a bullet guide and mag release meant for AK mags and your good to go.

Most important thing is that to comply with 922r (import law I mentioned earlier) you MUST USE THREE AMERICAN MADE PARTS in your conversion to be legal!!!

Here's mine.

image-1455305261.jpg

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
They are imported In a hunting configuration to comply with some silly import laws thoughtfully bestowed upon us by the GUB'MENT.

Once bought and shipped here they can be converted back to their originally designed configuration by removing the mounting bracket that the factory stock attaches to and replacing it with an aftermarket part for mounting stocks typically used with a pistol grip. You then remove and replace the fire control group with a original AK variant kit after you remove a bolted on plate covering the holes that they correspond too which are more forward of the saiga trigger hole and FCG. You then install a pistol grip of choice using a grip nut where the saiga trigger and FCG were located,directly behind the new trigger and FCG. Last step is too install a bullet guide and mag release meant for AK mags and your good to go.

Most important thing is that to comply with 922r (import law I mentioned earlier) you MUST USE THREE AMERICAN MADE PARTS in your conversion to be legal!!!

Here's mine.
That looks sweet

Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #5

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

That looks sweet
I second that, she's a beauty!!!

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #6

they are imported into America sporterized, no pistol grip, trigger is more tword the ass end of the reciever, and the handgaurd goes all the way to the end of the gas tube.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #7

I have one. But in an ak specialty magazine, they stated that this is one of the best made

Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

They come in "sporting configuration" so they are not "assault weapons" and therefore do not need to undergo a 922 conversion unless they are equipped with a pistol grip.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
i Have been wanting to buy an ak varient rifle for ariund 600$ but all of the rifles ive seen latley are very sloppy feeling/looking. they look used and some have scratches and canted sights loose mag wobble i want a brand new nice and shiny ak so i was looking at the saigas but the hangard is ugly! It dosent look like a traditional ak hanguard it covers the gas tube kinda. Is it possible to make the saiga ak look a little more (traditional)?? Dies anyone have a saiga ak that looks like a traditional ak? Do you just need to swap out handguards? How did you do it? Please post pics!
Yes, you need a handguard retainer.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post

Here's mine.
Did you use a lower hanguard retainer. Is it solid with no play. Ive seen them but im curious if you have noticed any movement