Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Hi-Point Carbine Rifle question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/hi-point-carbine-rifle-question-46473/)

Beastazz 08-09-2011 01:50 AM

Hi-Point Carbine Rifle question

I am 14 and am interested In semi auto rifles. I have a 10/22 that I enjoy but I would like to upgrade to something with a bit more punch. I don't want a AR being 14 I think that's a bit much. I was considering a SKS but I saw a hi-point and it looked pretty cool to me. My question is are they even worth considering or is there something better. I rebuild firearms with my grandfather and so I have seen many firearms but I am not very educated on the hi-points. What's yalls opinion on them?

chevyforlife1972nova 08-09-2011 01:56 AM

just make sure you go to the right section lol AK/sks

HI-points are cheap but they are what you get cheap I have seen some good bad and ugly my friend returned a 45 cal one 3 times for different problems. Also being 14 I know in my area you can't buy anything with a AK action I do not know if a sks falls under that tho.

Beastazz 08-09-2011 02:41 AM

What types of problems do the HPs tend to have

chevyforlife1972nova 08-09-2011 03:18 AM

just cheap made alot of plastic there not quality guns

Beastazz 08-09-2011 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova
just cheap made alot of plastic there not quality guns

Yes I see, well I wonder if I would be better with an SKS and a new tactical stock for it?

chevyforlife1972nova 08-09-2011 04:40 AM

have you looked up if a sks is a assault rifle in your area? plus you have 2 wait until your 18

Beastazz 08-09-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyforlife1972nova
have you looked up if a sks is a assault rifle in your area? plus you have 2 wait until your 18

Yes, I have. They are legal and my father will be purchasing it for me like all of my other firearms.

orangello 08-09-2011 06:37 PM

You woul probably have an easier time buying "rifle" ammo for the SKS than pistol caliber ammo for the high point.

Many people like the High points; i haven't owned one yet.

aktommysks 08-09-2011 07:31 PM

Highpoint carbine

I had a 9mm high point, couldn't kill it. A much more difficult gun to dissasemble then the sks. I live in NJ strict gun laws, but as long as u keep it a fixed mag it's not considersd an assualt weapon. Personally i would go with the sks, lots of parts and accessories reliable, and rugged. What ever weapon u choose, always apply all the safty rules and have an adult present, when using live ammo. Good luck and have fun.

Beastazz 08-09-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aktommysks
I had a 9mm high point, couldn't kill it. A much more difficult gun to dissasemble then the sks. I live in NJ strict gun laws, but as long as u keep it a fixed mag it's not considersd an assualt weapon. Personally i would go with the sks, lots of parts and accessories reliable, and rugged. What ever weapon u choose, always apply all the safty rules and have an adult present, when using live ammo. Good luck and have fun.

Thx think an SKS is the way to go.