Has anyone buffed up a trigger on an AK?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Has anyone buffed up a trigger on an AK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone buffed up a trigger on an AK?

My new Saiga is great and accurate, but the trigger pull is a little hard for a rifle and it seems longer than most hunting rifles. Any experience in smoothing up an AK trigger pull? Thanks.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #2

Liked 2217 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 484

I haven't messed with them. I replaced a Romanian trigger group with a Tapco G2 and it is very nice compared to the original. Also had a Chinese trigger in a Norinco once that was pretty nice.

AK triggers are usually fairly long in pull and often two stage or kind if stiff because of the original military application of the design, to prevent accidental discharge and especially when used with gloves in cold weather.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks SSGN_Doc,

I wondered if that might be part of it. I am happy with the way it shoots, so I will probably hunt with it this fall and winter and then do some trigger work on it and report back.

Dave

Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I replaced my Arsenal Saiga SGL21 with Tapco G2 single stage. What a huge difference and a very cheap modification.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I also put a Tapco on my Maadi. Cheap and fast modification. Scared the crap out of me when I took it to the range. The long double stage crappy trigger became a smooth, light single stage so it went off before I expected it. Now I am used to it and love it.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh boy, this sounds like a real improvement. Thanks.

Dave

Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I found out something interesting today. I had a new G2 trigger in the cabinet, and went to install it. Guess what? A Saiga hunting carbine has been modified from the standard AK in parts. The actual trigger (in the guard) sets back farther than the standard AK and though the trigger and hammer come out with the same two pins, the trigger is activated by a separate toggle system. I'll have to check further to find out if there is a modification available. Thanks for the input and any new ideas. I tried to take pictures, but I can't reduce the size of the pictures and I couldn't get Photobucket to cooperate this time either. Sorry.

Dave