Got a Yugo SKS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Got a Yugo SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern6er View Post
SKS Before

That's basically how my SKS looks right now but for some reason I like the old look to it so far. Maybe in the future I'll give it a full cleaning but for now I think I'll keep it as is and just clean the necessary parts because if I take all the Cosmo out then it will rust much easier or so I'm told.

If this is a bad idea in your guys opinions I may reconsider but for now I'll leave it as is.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

www.surplusrifle.com has some good info on the SKS- and a BUNCH of other milsurp weapons. DO be sure that the bolt has been cleaned well- the SKS has a free floating firing pin- no return spring- and if it is gunked up, they HAVE been known to slamfire. Slamfire, BTW, is the term for loading up a magazine, pulling back the bolt, releasing it, and the rifle empties the mag without you touching the trigger.

I have added a scope to one of my SKS's- I used the rail-built-onto-replacement-top-cover type. Mine was file-to-a-real-snug-fit type, and has worked well.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #13

Ok I decided to just go ahead and clean the dang thing.

So this mineral spirits stuff. Do I just plain dunk all the metal parts the small springs and recoil springs all in there?

If not just tell me what parts need to go into the Spirits before I do it.

Also should I just dunk it in the stuff for a few days and let it sit or just scrub at it like crazy with the stuff?

Old 09-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #14

I have disasembled the entire rifle now and will got out and purchase me a long plastic pan to soak the barrel and other various metal parts of the gun.

After soaking it for about an hour what else should I do to the rifle? (i'm also going to look at the other info you gave me so I may answer my own question soon lol)

Should I get a rifle cleaning kit tomorrow as well and clean the inside of the soak barrel to get it dry first?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM   #15

After soaking the parts for bit, look them over and make sure the cosmo is out of the nooks and crannies (Q-tips work great!).

Once you have them out, wipe them down and let air dry. Once dry, clean and lube them as you would after shooting (Hoppes #9, CLP, whatever), then oil accordingly.

The only thing I didn't like about leaving my stock in the form I got it was this: If you go shooting, the gun will heat up and leach cosmoline all over YOU, your clothes, and any gear you have close by. I love my rifles, but I'm not gonna trash my clothes for it. It will be most noticeable along the warm metal parts, but the butt of the barrel will be very close to your clothes.

If you use the Turpentine method I described earlier, it will take 3-6 wipedowns to really get the cosmo out (though some may still be in the DEEP parts of the rifle (not worth worrying about at this point though), but it will dry quickly for you to apply the wax I mentioned earlier or something like Boiled Linseed Oil or your favorite wood treatment.

Previously, I had used Howard's Restor-a-finish to do the wood, then applied their orange oil/beeswax mix to it and it looked okay for a while. I just preferred the Tom's mix, especially after seeing my Garand's results.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #16

Nah I'm looking at the stock and I think someone has already cleaned most of the cosmoline out of it but someone didn't do a big job of it so I'm just going to soak the parts and just use some dish detergent on the stock.

I like the old gun look of it.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:23 PM   #17

Can you still get charger clip for the SKS, and do they fit the Yugoslavian SKS?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #18

Yes they do. But I kind of hate the internal magazine seeing as how I have to hold the gun and load it. I'd rather have a detachable magazine I can load myself. Which is why I'm buying one today.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #19

UPDATE: Metal parts are now soaking. Not enough Mineral spirits so I'm just going to flip it a few times over a few hours.

Also I bought a 20 Round Tapco Magazine as I heard they are excellent.

As well as a cleaning kit that I'm going to use to lube up and clean all the metal parts after their soak.

Edit* Shiza! It looks like to get a proper fit I'm going to have to make the opening bigger on the wooden stock from what I read.

Mother trucker....it kind of goes in there already but if I have to do that what do you guys suggest?

Btw I like this magazine. So much more sturdy imo.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 09-23-2008 at 07:45 PM.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 AM   #20

Sorry for the triple post but I just finished cleaning the rifle and now I have finished modifying it. After a few shoves I got the new magazine in there with a satisfying snap. The feel of the Tapco Magazine is just wonderful.

I am one happy camper with my first gun modification ever.

I removed and replaced it with hardly any effort and it stay very stable...I think someone already did the wood modification for me and just sold the gun to the gun store with the internal and they kept their Magazine.

I found one thing that concerns me a bit....right here.

You can see it slightly the lip of the gun that goes over the stock is bent upwards and the other side is bent down a bit.

Granted it still fits but should it be of any concern? The Stock feels solid enough....I had a bit of a scare when I was putting the new mag in...I almost pushed the entire gun out when putting the trigger back lol...but it's stable now.

*Edit Damn after cleaning it I and lubeing it up it gets caught on the plastic Magazine...Granted It probably won't be as bad if actual bullets in there but you know either way. I want to test that out but I'm scared to put a round in the chamber lol.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 09-24-2008 at 07:52 AM.