Got a Yugo SKS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Got a Yugo SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Got a Yugo SKS

And I don't know a damn thing about them lol.

I bought this gun as my main big bullet rifle and I'll be buying a .22 rifle soon.

The reason why I bought this one over an M1 like I was planning is because this one was dirt freakin cheap.

It's REAL nasty though but from what I'm told these rifles clean up real good and can be easily cleaned at that....of course I'm sure you guys can either tell me the truth on the matter.

I need to know all I can about SKS's and I'll be darting all around here looking for information on them, but if you guys can link me to some fun facts and the proper dismantling and field stripping and cleaning of the weapon that would be great.

I would use this thread as a quick reference to myself.

Eitherway.

YEEEEEHAAAAW!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have decent experience with the SKS rifles. Let me know if you need any help answering any questions you may have.

SKS rifles are very fun to shoot. I've owned a total of 2 SKS rifles, and enjoyed them both.

The first thing you should do is clean off all the cosmoline that is most likely on the rifle (i.e. the thick, greasy stuff in the working components).

Be sure to search the internet for proper cleaning/takedown/safety instructions. YouTube is a good resource for this.

Happy shooting.

Here's some links:

Part 1 of SKS dissassembly/reassembly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_Kdn3JQDQ

Part 2 of SKS dissassembly/reassembly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWmEyxA9o-M

Last edited by SGT-MILLER; 09-19-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #3

not sure about Cosmoline really.

I don't think so since I got the Gun from a Gun Shop but I do plan on cleaning this dang thing before I use it.....One thing that is driving me crazy is I want to take a look at the grenade sights...but I can't....the little button or gas thing he talks about in the vid is stuck and I can not move it.

*edit Figured it out.

Whoever owned this last probably didn't do any cleaning with it and left all the cosmoline in the dang gas piston making it gunk up. I used a kitchen knife to move it so That's what I'll use again once I clean it sometimes.

Any suggestions on what I should buy? This is my very first gun ever.

*another Edit

Anyone got a link for an SKS manual in english that fits the Yugo? I need to print one out for my records.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 09-19-2008 at 03:17 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Try this link JiroZero, it has lots of info on the designer of the SKS and even has some info on how to get a manual in english. I printed off this page on all my military surplus rifles, the history about them is what I like.

www.surplusrifles.com/sks/index.asp

Hope this helps, be careful and have fun.

Thomas

The manual on this site my not be for the Yugo SKS, but the actions of the different variants are all the same. The only diff. is the length of the barrel and type of bayonet, and minor things like that, but internally they are all the same.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-19-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #5

Are you near a Gander Mtn.? They should have bright yellow booklets for most rifles and handguns,.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #6

What's Gander Mtn.? Also that surplus sight I don't trust it...the site eh well is poorly made....and I'm not so sure about it.....I don't know what button to press.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
And I don't know a damn thing about them lol.

I bought this gun as my main big bullet rifle and I'll be buying a .22 rifle soon.

The reason why I bought this one over an M1 like I was planning is because this one was dirt freakin cheap.

It's REAL nasty though but from what I'm told these rifles clean up real good and can be easily cleaned at that....of course I'm sure you guys can either tell me the truth on the matter.

I need to know all I can about SKS's and I'll be darting all around here looking for information on them, but if you guys can link me to some fun facts and the proper dismantling and field stripping and cleaning of the weapon that would be great.

I would use this thread as a quick reference to myself.

Eitherway.

YEEEEEHAAAAW!
http://www.simonov.net/

Slo

Old 09-22-2008, 03:47 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
not sure about Cosmoline really.

I don't think so since I got the Gun from a Gun Shop but I do plan on cleaning this dang thing before I use it...
Do NOT assume anything with a firearm. Always take it apart and check it out first!!! Many gun shops buy these surplus rifles that have been covered in cosmoline, and they don't bother to clean them up. They just sell them to you and let you do it.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #9

I've gotten it cleaned up a bit and it apparantly had already been used a bit as well. It's relatively fine. Since this is only a fun rifle I'm going to leave some of the cosmoline on certain places so it won't rust to bad. Places like the bolt area and the magazine as well as the barrel have been cleaned.

This rifle is in good shape...someone oiled the **** out of the recoil spring to death for no damn reason...makes no sense. Oh well that's fixed and it feels smoother now.

Let's see if it will fire once I can find me a range nearby.

Also can anyone suggest me a good sight attachment? Those rail things that go on the receiver plate are they any good? And if they are make me a suggestion of what to buy. If not tell me another one as I'm getting a scope for this thing as this is a long rifle....way longer than any other SKS I've seen....I'm not even sure what model lol.

Either way also about those 30 round magazine clips you can get. Any good? I'm probably just going to keep the internal magazine for now but I just wanted to know if the 30 round mags are good....from what I see all people have done is just make the 30 round mag act like the internal magazine by locking in the same way....doesn't seem to difficult.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #10

Use mineral spirits to put the metal parts in. It will clean off the cosmo pretty quickly. A toothbrush/toothpick will help get it out of those tight corners.

As for the stock, I used Simple Green and hot water to get most of the cosmo out. THEN I went back and used turpentine to clear it out some more. Applied it with 0000 steel wool as I didn't want to damage the stampings on the stock. Once it dried, I gave it a couple wipes with Simple Green again and one more with turpentine to ensure all cosmo was out. I then used Tom's 1/3 military wax on the stock (used it on my Garand too). Here is how they came out.

I rubbed in a heavy layer of Tom's mix (available at www.thegunstockdoctor.com) by hand. Heat from my hand helped it soften and get absorbed. Let it sit for several hours (overnight is good). Wiped it down really good. Then applied another couple of layers with the 0000 steel wool to work it in better. Wipe and repeat until your stock is how you want it. I did this about 3 months ago on my rifles and I think they're thirsty enough that it is ready for another good coat and I'll be good for a while.

Garand Before

Garand After (middle rifle)

SKS Before

SKS After

Last edited by Southern6er; 09-22-2008 at 07:17 PM.