Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Going price on a Yugo SKS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default Going price on a Yugo SKS?

I suspect this answer will make me want to cry (Manly tears of pure testosterone of course) but what is the going price on a Yugo SKS these days? I'm interested in replacing the Norinco I foolishly sold many years ago but wondering if the price is going to be more than I'd like to pay. I really like the looks of the Yugo version which is why I am considering it over the Norinco.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Realistically, a like new Yugo is going for $300. to $400. I think they're worth closer to $300. They don't have chrome lined barrels and they're kind of front heavy with the grenade launcher and grenade sight.

I had one that was like new and sold it to buy a Chinese SKS. I'm much happier with it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Yugo's are great, when you get done shooting all your targets you can launch some inert practice grenades with blanks, loads of fun.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 08-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Good to see CA357 posting!

A local FFL had a couple crates of older Chinese models with the non-spike bayonet going from $325-$400 not long ago. Most of them looked really nice.

I would look for the Chinese over the Yugo for the chrome bore and lack of grenade launcher, UNLESS you are interested in the launching of dummy grenades as mentioned above.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

The local GSs around me are trying to sell yugo SKS for $599. Not sure why they are trying to get rich of them. I just bough a yugo all matching # plus 250rds and ten stripper clips for $425. I thought that was a good buy?

Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by foot2400 View Post
The local GSs around me are trying to sell yugo SKS for $599. Not sure why they are trying to get rich of them. I just bough a yugo all matching # plus 250rds and ten stripper clips for $425. I thought that was a good buy?
That's not a bad price.

Around here a Yugo brings 300-400. Closer to 400 these days
I'd kind of want to get one myself. I have a Chinese M type but would like to have one that is set up the..."normal" way.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I think for the price they are nice guns. I'm a fan of the classic wood look. Although I have been thinking of getting a tapco stock and gas tube to give it a newer look. And just put the wood stock in the case and save it and pass it down to the kids.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default YUGO SKS:Always a good choice that worths

Let me say a couple of things concerning the Yugo SKS
The Papovka or Titova Puška(These are the two nicknames of the M59/66, the rifle that you call Yugo SKS-Papovka stand for "Pola automatska puška"="Semi automatic rifle" and "Titova Puška"="Tito's rifle"(after the famous Yugoslavia's ruler)) can be considered as one of the ultimate/best SKS variant, maybe even the best ever made.When the mass production began (1964-1969) it was considered outdated by many soldiers but extremely appreciated by snipers and marksman serving in the JNA and then in the former Yugo republics.It's accuracy is exceptional(400-800+m) if compared to the Russian and Chinese(thanks to the non-chrome-lined barrel), but it requires more cleaning.In addition to this, the gas system can be blocked(closed) and the full power of the cartridge can be used-Faster bullet=flatter trajectory+stonger "punch".Another feature is the capability of shooting 20 mm Nato grenades, a feature that was only present on this sks variant.
Thanks to is dependability, the rifle remained in service till 1997 and is still used by many police and military target shooters.

THE M59/66 many cost even 450$, but trust me....it worth it!!!The only thing I can tell you is that...well...I suggest your to try shooting one - chinese or yugo- and then decide what rifle is more suitable to you.

HINTID YOU KNOW THAT...
The M59/66 is the 4 weapons-in-1 rifle.
With very little modification it can be converted in/be used as:
1)Assault weapon(Standard configuration + 30+ rnd mags)
2)Sniper rifle(A mount system should be installed on the rifle)
3)Light Machine gun(Only the trigger group must be replaced and 70+ rnd mag must be added+the bayonett replaced by a bipod)
4)Grenade Launcher(till 12 rifle grenades per min can be shot)

I have an SKS with scope mounts installed and a bipod instead of the bayonett.Assuming that we start from the assault weapon configuration, I need:
-15 secs to turn it to a sniper/marksman rifle
-15-30secs to turn it to a light-machine gun
-2-3 secs to prepare the grenade launcher(It is integrated).The only time you need, is the one you'll need to close the gas system, load a blank put the grenade on the launcher and arm it.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #9

Liked 401 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I used to own a Norinco and it was a solid rifle. I'm interested in how many seem to think the Yugo version is more accurate, as I never thought the Norinco was a sharpshooter. Good enough for me to shoot through open sights and generally hit what I was aiming at but didn't exactly do me any favors either.

No interest in the grenade launcher, but I do like the way the Yugo version looks. I thought the non-chrome barrel not only requires more cleaning but isn't it less durable?

Just found another Norinco and convincing myself to take a pass for now. Sure was tempting though. Too many guns I want and only have the money for 2 at the moment.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default ...Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I used to own a Norinco and it was a solid rifle. I'm interested in how many seem to think the Yugo version is more accurate, as I never thought the Norinco was a sharpshooter. Good enough for me to shoot through open sights and generally hit what I was aiming at but didn't exactly do me any favors either.

No interest in the grenade launcher, but I do like the way the Yugo version looks. I thought the non-chrome barrel not only requires more cleaning but isn't it less durable?

Just found another Norinco and convincing myself to take a pass for now. Sure was tempting though. Too many guns I want and only have the money for 2 at the moment.
Less durable?Maybe....but not that less than a sks with a chrome-lined barrel.As you know, chrome-lined barrels are less exposed to corrosion and other environmental factors.It requires even less cleaning, especially if you use corrosive ammo(for the same reason).On the other hand...Chrome-lined barrels are well known for not being as accurate as the non-chrome-lined barrels(This is also why the yugo weapons are considered a "little more accurate" than the russian, chinese, etc.)

I'll be honest with you....In the '90, when I was near Vukovar(One of the greatest battlefields of the Yugo Wars), I used several times the M59/66A1 since my m70 was not accurate enough.Than rifle gave me some really nice shots(Well....killing people is never a nice thing, but this is what war is about).After some many years, I still have that rifle....you can call me nostalgic or stupid...but I would still use it in a modern warfare situation even today.For me, it is still up to the task-at least, as a marksman/sniper rifle.

Last edited by Mark_Van_Goth; 08-29-2013 at 07:37 AM.