Forget the Chinese... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Forget the Chinese...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Still lookin' for a sheet metal shop though.................

There's no patent on those drums.
You'd need to build them cheap to match or beat the current european piece's price. Assuming you sold them to gun retailers, who in turn sold them to the public, you'd need to be able to make them for around $30 a pop. Sell them to stores for $75, and they sell them to us for $150. Can you do it?!?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #12

I don't know. That's why talking to a sheet metal man would be interesting.

Tooling would be the major investment. once the tooling is done production costs should be low.

The main question is, over how many units would you recover the tooling costs?

The larger the number of units, the lower your costs are; the smaller the number of units the more quickly you recover your costs.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Because the ban on firearms and equipment was put into place by George Bush, and Clinton decided to give China "Most Favored Nation" trade status. One of them did something to fight our enemy, the other welcomed them to rape us...

Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #14

If China has MFN status, then they should be able to export something that would actually be useful, like 100 round drums.............

Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

so, if a new ban comes sometime next year, which mags do you think will be on the chopping block? Obviously the drums, but what other sizes?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
so, if a new ban comes sometime next year, which mags do you think will be on the chopping block? Obviously the drums, but what other sizes?
My opinion is that any detachable magazine weapon will be banned. Also any weapon with a capacity in excess of 5 rounds (including chamber). The 5 round max is usually the state hunting maximum magazine capacity and the Dems will try to redefine the 2A to mean ONLY hunting and Olympic type target shooting. If they can make that re-definiton stick, then it will be easy to slowly regulate hunting out of existence with eviromental laws, state regs, transportation laws, ammunition laws, taxes, etc. Death by regulation. There will be too many battles in too many jurisdictions. Target competitions will eventually be limited to military and police.

If detachable magazines are not banned outright, 5 rounds will be max;
probably all pump and auto shotguns will be banned so a 3 round max will not be imposed on them.

Just my opinion................

Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 702 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Can I make drums at a machine shop and sell them without any license? I have access to a great CAD designer who runs a automated machine shop.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #18

There are no permits or licenses (Federal) for parts and accessories. I don't know what your State, county and local laws are. A local business attorney could let you know what restrictions (if any) exist.

Do you have a 100 round drum to "reverse engineer"? I'd be interested in any you build when you get ready to sell. This board and the internet would probably keep you busy for awhile.