Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Forget the Chinese... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/forget-chinese-8179/)

janikphoto 11-03-2008 06:39 PM

Forget the Chinese...

It looks like the bulgarians are making a version of the chinese 75 round wind-up drums now?!? How long has this been going on?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/ak-47-steel-75-round-drum%2C-bulgarian-wind-up/products_id/2814?osCsid=cff5cd72639aaaea4575540f910cda15

Northwoods 11-04-2008 03:08 PM

Chinese used to make 100 round wind up drums. I can't find those anymore. Now all you can get are the East European 75's.

Wish I knew why the 100 round ones went away...........

notdku 11-04-2008 04:50 PM

$179! Really? Drums are that expensive now?

ranger_sxt 11-04-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwoods (Post 48621)
Chinese used to make 100 round wind up drums. I can't find those anymore. Now all you can get are the East European 75's.

Wish I knew why the 100 round ones went away...........

Because the government decided that importing things from a company that also makes things for our enemy's army is a bad idea...

Northwoods 11-04-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_sxt (Post 48641)
Because the government decided that importing things from a company that also makes things for our enemy's army is a bad idea...

Well, it is kind'a pointless unless we are going to shut down Wal-Mart and exclude COSCO (Chinese Oversea Shipping Corporation) from the US. I think the Chinese operate both ends of the Panama Canal too. Bulgarians and Romanians (where a lot of AK's are coming in from now) are not "our enemies" only because of current (temporary) political convenience. :rolleyes:

Sounds "politically correct" but economically and logically weak. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to go look for more Type 56's.............. :D

janikphoto 11-04-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku (Post 48638)
$179! Really? Drums are that expensive now?

Still cheaper than the chinese 75 and 100 round drums that are now banned from importation. They sell for $200 to $300 at gun shows now.

And the question of "why" you can't find chinese stuff, well, people claim it's because of sanctions against a communist country, but I doubt it.

I think there was heavy lobbying from someone in washington that didn't care for the flood of cheap firearms coming into the USA. Maybe it was an anti-gun nut or maybe it was the US gun companies worried about losing market share? Who knows.

We know there are crazy anti-gun groups that have some powerful lobbyists in DC. We also know that US companies have lobbied to hamper foreign competition in the past, like the auto industry for example.

Just speculation and guessing, so don't make the above fact. really, it doesn't matter WHY chinese drums can't be imported anymore. At least we have someone making wind-up drums again...

Northwoods 11-04-2008 08:12 PM

I wish some one make the 100 round drums domesticly.

Anybody got a sheet metal shop that's looking for work?

Could be some serious money in this.........

dragunovsks 11-04-2008 08:49 PM

Just go to Wal-Mart and look around, you'll find plenty of chinese stuff.

janikphoto 11-04-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 48700)
Just go to Wal-Mart and look around, you'll find plenty of chinese stuff.

Exactly!!! So why ban the chinese guns, when they are making a ton more off us from selling tv's, stereos, etc... because some special interest group lobbied our government to ban the chinese firearms. Someone who had a lot to lose by all the cheap weapons coming in? I don't know...

Northwoods 11-04-2008 11:57 PM

Still lookin' for a sheet metal shop though.................

There's no patent on those drums.