first time shooting. now in the search - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > first time shooting. now in the search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Be careful about putting to much credit behind Wiki.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #22

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee;819178... You can get better performance than an AK with a Ruger Mini. The Ruger Mini-30 gives you everything that an AK can do plus better accuracy downrange.

[url
http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html[/url]

So if it is the cartridge you are in love with, the Ruger Mini-30 is a superior weapon and more accurate, with a more reliable M-1 open bolt design. Thus if you fire hollow points or soft points and one jams, you can easily un-jam the Ruger but not the AK.

The Ruger mini preserves the M-1 bolt design, whereas the AK has a closed bolt like the original Italian and German sturmgewehr of the 1940s and like the AR platforms of the 1950s to present. The open bolt design is easy to unjam. The closed bolt is not.

If I were in love with this cartridge, then I would get the Ruger. That gives you a superior weapon plus access to a lot of cheap Chinese and Russian ammo for it.

So thumbs down on the AK and thumbs up on the Ruger for 7.62x39mm for all those reasons.
I disagree. I really wanted the Mini-30 for a long time but couldn't ignore the price of the WASR. Finally got a WASR five years ago and still happy with it. As others often say, an AK is an AK. The WASR is rough but odds are you'll be satisfied, jjfuller1.

Funny, exactly the opposite reasoning has kept me from buying a Mini-14 which can be cheaper than a good AR but in this case to me it made sense to go with a good AR. So even though I like the Minis, price one way or the other has prevented me from buying.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #23

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Be careful about putting to much credit behind Wiki.
You are right, I don't put much credit on Wiki they have been wrong before.
I would have given a different reference but I couldn't get it to up load.
Here it is now, The AK-47 Kalashnikov Museum Virtual Tour.
http://kalashnikov-weapons-museum.ak47-guide.com/
You can't get much closer to the horses mouth, unless you have Mikhail's phone number.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton