First ak
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > First ak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default First ak

I'm looking to get my first ak47 , what would be a good brand ? Not century international arms anything but it plz. And I would like this ak to be able to take after market parts and a wide variety of them if it can , and if there are any other things you guys think I should have plz note it or PM me thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

A WASR or Saiga would be good for you, they can both use aftermarket accessories and are fairly cheap while remaining good well built rifles.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

saiga centerfire was doing them for 300 free shipping a few days ago. then buy a kit and convert really east conversion with basic tools

Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Here are a few places you could start looking.

Arsenal

Unadvertised Specials

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=24

Just what kind of AK are you looking for?
And what kind of shooting are you going to be doing with your new AK?
The fit and finish is a little rough on the Romanians, while the Yugoslavian & Chinese AKs I think are top of the line.
The Bulgarian, Hungarian, & Polish fall some where in between.
If you are looking for accuracy & cheap ammo go with the AK 74s (5.45x39).
If you are wanting fun plinking and don't mind the recoil the AK47 (7.62x39) is good.
If you are wanting something a little different, a gun that really gets attention at the range & can reach out an touch someone or something, try the Dragunov or FPK/PSL (8mm or 7.62x54r).(ammo is cheap too)

Old 11-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Classicfirearms.com has Saigas for under $300. Unadvertised Specials

Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
Here are a few places you could start looking.

Arsenal

Unadvertised Specials

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=24

Just what kind of AK are you looking for?
And what kind of shooting are you going to be doing with your new AK?
The fit and finish is a little rough on the Romanians, while the Yugoslavian & Chinese AKs I think are top of the line.
The Bulgarian, Hungarian, & Polish fall some where in between.
If you are looking for accuracy & cheap ammo go with the AK 74s (5.45x39).
If you are wanting fun plinking and don't mind the recoil the AK47 (7.62x39) is good.
If you are wanting something a little different, a gun that really gets attention at the range & can reach out an touch someone or something, try the Dragunov or FPK/PSL (8mm or 7.62x54r).(ammo is cheap too)
I'm looking for an Ak that I can use in a SHTF if ever needed , something that is very reliable and the recoil is able to be managed , and I'm not very interested in reaching out and touching someone with it , and this would be a gun that I keep in my truck and with somesort of optic and is also looking for it to be under 400$

Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #7

Romanian ak is what you my friend are looking for. Just be sure to inspect it fully before paying one cent.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coba29
Romanian ak is what you my friend are looking for. Just be sure to inspect it fully before paying one cent.
Exactly what am I looking for

Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithKid308

Exactly what am I looking for
? I wasn't asking I was strongly suggesting

Old 11-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just took my converted Draco pistol (added a side folding stock and 4 piece muzzle brake) to the range and it shot really nice. The brake made recoil very manageable and the pad on the stock probably helped as well. The side folder makes it compact for transport and overall it's a compact and light rifle.

From the bench it was putting each round in the bullseye and from standing the red dot did move but much less than I expected and quickly returned to the bullseye.

Dracos can be had for under $400.

I have owned Saigas and a Romanian. All have been great. In my opinion get a hold of a Romanian throw the collapsible AR style receiver extension from VLTOR and a MOE stock on it. It'll make for a great truck gun.