Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > the fireing pin on the sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That is the upside to the Norinco/Chinese SKS's; they haven't been used in battle for the most part, less worn.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Do you recall the nationality of their SKS's? I'm betting Yugo.

Honestly, if my firearm failed due to a nasty firing pin, i wouldn't even admit it to my cat.
Russian, designed as the first assault rifle chambered in the new soviet M1945 ammo now more commonly known an the 7.62x39. It was based off of the SVT40 but was simplified and smaller. It was used for two years post WWII until the AK47 was introduced and finished its testing. It was then relegated to reserve duty until around 1974 when the AK74 came into service. However before that it was produced under liscense by nearly all Soviet bloc countries. It was used as a primary infantry rifle until the AK47 variants were either shipped in or manufactured. Again it was relegated to reserve duty until the early 90s when the cold war finally wound down.

Never Forget.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
Russian, designed as the first assault rifle chambered in the new soviet M1945 ammo now more commonly known an the 7.62x39. It was based off of the SVT40 but was simplified and smaller. It was used for two years post WWII until the AK47 was introduced and finished its testing. It was then relegated to reserve duty until around 1974 when the AK74 came into service. However before that it was produced under liscense by nearly all Soviet bloc countries. It was used as a primary infantry rifle until the AK47 variants were either shipped in or manufactured. Again it was relegated to reserve duty until the early 90s when the cold war finally wound down.

Never Forget.
I asked about the nationality of the SKS's that malfunctioned, not the design as a whole. Mine was made in China; i'm betting the faulty ones were battle-worn units from Yugoslavia (I think Russia is a bit East of there ).

Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I asked about the nationality of the SKS's that malfunctioned, not the design as a whole. Mine was made in China; i'm betting the faulty ones were battle-worn units from Yugoslavia (I think Russia is a bit East of there ).
Oh lol

Never Forget.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Worn out firing pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Sweet mines a '51, I guess the last year the Ruskies did it..
The Ruskies used springs in their F/Pins from 1949 -early 1951. You may not have a spring. Reason is i had a 1951 Tula and it did not have a spring.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 AM   #26

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post

Never Forget.
Strange, I was under the impression an SKS was a scaled down PTRS41

anti-tank gun which Simonov designed, because we all know

an SVT40 is a Tokarev designed weapon with a box mag...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

Strange, I was under the impression an SKS was a scaled down PTRS41

anti-tank gun which Simonov designed, because we all know

an SVT40 is a Tokarev designed weapon with a box mag...
Its more like the PTRS41 and SVT40 got together and had SKS kids lol.

Never Forget.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #28

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster View Post
It's not random bs. I have heard from a couple of friends of mine and a well trusted family member who has experienced it
So three people you know and trust ALL had worn SKS firing pins,

yet none of us ever experienced it, after thousands of rounds through

all of our used SKS relics. OKAY...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

^^^ Could've been a bad batch in that area?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Here is another angle on the "issue"...The SKS's in the US were commonly preserved with cosmoline prior to being shipped here. Cosmoline is a preservative, not a lubricant. If the internals are not cleaned thoroughly prior to use, the cosmoline will bake in and harden. Hardened/gummed up cosmoline in the bolt of an SKS can cause the firing pin to stick. A stuck firing pin can and does cause a condition called a "slam fire" This can cause the newly chambered round to fire as the bolt locks up. In extreme circumstances the gun can go full auto.

The other problem is that the firing pins are crudely machined with rough edges and burrs. This can cause a similar condition. My Norinco was rough when I got it. I removed the firing pin and deburred it. I polished the surfaces with crocus cloth so it moved freely. I shoot mainly domestic ammo and reloads with domestic primers (CCI and Winchester). I have NEVER had a slam fire.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball