the fireing pin on the sks - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > the fireing pin on the sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know where you heard this but IMO it is "poppycock". If you have ever disassembled your SKS and inspected the firing pin you would see that there is nothing that would cause the FP to prematurely wear. The only concerns that you should have is that the FP channel is clean and free of lube/debris. Other than that you should have no worries.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Why do you think Batman wears that suit?
I figured his "special friend" Robin (androgenous name much) was into bondage and such; why do you think he wears it?

Regarding the SKS firing pin crap: I have only heard of some wore-out Yugos with gunked up and possibly rounded out firing pin holes causing slamfires. There was some guy named Murray selling replacement pins with a return spring or something for the paranoid. SKS Owners

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #13

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Regarding the SKS firing pin crap: I have only heard of some wore-out Yugos with gunked up and possibly rounded out firing pin holes causing slamfires. There was some guy named Murray selling replacement pins with a return spring or something for the paranoid. SKS Owners
One of my SKS's have that springy firing pin.. But the rifle was still packed in the cosmoline?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
One of my SKS's have that springy firing pin.. But the rifle was still packed in the cosmoline?
IIRC, the original Ruskie model had one like it.

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm Check out his write-up.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #15

Liked 4887 Times on 2369 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.
And for everyone watching the new GRIMM TV series...

Dripping melted silver into your hollow points will create dual purpose anti people AND anti warewolf round!

TACK

Old 01-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #16

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
IIRC, the original Ruskie model had one like it.

SKS Owners Check out his write-up.
Sweet mines a '51, I guess the last year the Ruskies did it..

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Sweet mines a '51, I guess the last year the Ruskies did it..
Niiiiiice! You should post up some pics of your firing pin & such, though i must confess i don't have any pics of my SKS's pin just handy. I don't understand why they abandoned the springer; the firing pin would not seem to be the place to cheap out.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.
It's not random bs. I have heard from a couple of friends of mine and a well trusted family member who has experienced it

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster View Post
It's not random bs. I have heard from a couple of friends of mine and a well trusted family member who has experienced it
Do you recall the nationality of their SKS's? I'm betting Yugo.

Honestly, if my firearm failed due to a nasty firing pin, i wouldn't even admit it to my cat.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Do you recall the nationality of their SKS's? I'm betting Yugo.
I honestly couldnt tell you it was brought up in conversation.