the fireing pin on the sks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > the fireing pin on the sks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default the fireing pin on the sks

I use heard the firering pin on the sks wears down pretty fast is there anybody who has shot one and experienced this??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Where did you hear this?

I haven't found it to be an issue with either of mine, but my

Russian did come with a replacement in the buttstock

storage...

Be careful to carefully clean your bolt carrier, because

dried out cosmoline can contribute to slamfires.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Well, about 1967 I took a Chinese SKS from a fellow that was not going to be using it. I'm still shooting it. Firing pin has not worn out yet. That's 45 years- plus however much it had been shot before I got it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #4

Oh okay so i should have nothing to worry about if I ever want to buy one. Thank you both

Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster View Post
Oh okay so i should have nothing to worry about if I ever want to buy one. Thank you both
Ah, clean the bolt carrier and firing pin very carefully?

Worry about that...

Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default firing pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster View Post
I have never heard of pins wearing out, just keep them clean make sure they move freely back and forth and you should be good to go.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #7

Even if it does need to be replaced its probably one of the easiest firing pin changes ever. Really cheap too.

Never Forget.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 01-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.
That last part...the part about the exploding bullets is absolutely true...

Why do you think Batman wears that suit?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

How many coils do you clip off?