Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   the fireing pin on the sks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/fireing-pin-sks-54748/)

1911_monster 01-04-2012 11:43 AM

the fireing pin on the sks

I use heard the firering pin on the sks wears down pretty fast is there anybody who has shot one and experienced this??

therewolf 01-06-2012 05:15 PM

Where did you hear this?

I haven't found it to be an issue with either of mine, but my

Russian did come with a replacement in the buttstock

storage...

Be careful to carefully clean your bolt carrier, because

dried out cosmoline can contribute to slamfires.

c3shooter 01-06-2012 08:23 PM

Well, about 1967 I took a Chinese SKS from a fellow that was not going to be using it. I'm still shooting it. Firing pin has not worn out yet. That's 45 years- plus however much it had been shot before I got it.

1911_monster 01-07-2012 07:18 AM

Oh okay so i should have nothing to worry about if I ever want to buy one. Thank you both

therewolf 01-07-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_monster (Post 669872)
Oh okay so i should have nothing to worry about if I ever want to buy one. Thank you both

Ah, clean the bolt carrier and firing pin very carefully?

Worry about that...

aktommysks 01-12-2012 03:33 AM

firing pin

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_monster (Post 669872)

I have never heard of pins wearing out, just keep them clean make sure they move freely back and forth and you should be good to go.

1stMarine 01-12-2012 03:49 AM

Even if it does need to be replaced its probably one of the easiest firing pin changes ever. Really cheap too.

Never Forget.

robocop10mm 01-12-2012 05:46 PM

I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.

Chandler51 01-12-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
I really like it when people throw out imaginary BS like this. The firing pin on an SKS is no more likely to wear out than an anvil is likely to wear out from making horse shoes. The early Russian models came with a spare because, A. it was easily changed and B. it was used in really nasty sub zero temps that could break them if they were made by peasant conscripts who had no understanding of heat treatment.

And remember to stagger your gas rings when you reassemble your AR bolt carrier group. Putting a bb under the discopnnector of an AR will make it full auto. Clip a few coils off a spring in an AK and it, too will go full auto. Mercury in the hollow point of a pistol bullet will make it explode like a shotgun. Newton's third law does not apply to firearms. And, exploding bullets like Reagan was shot with can go off at any time endangering the doctors working on you.

That last part...the part about the exploding bullets is absolutely true...

Why do you think Batman wears that suit? :)

ak47dunner 01-16-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm

How many coils do you clip off?