Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Finally got an AK, sorta...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #21
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5622 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 4713

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
CZ 52
Czechpoint has "unissued" cz-52's for about $300. Czechpoint - Product - vz. 52 Pistol - vz. 52 Pistol - Unissued condition

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #22

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

Czechpoint has "unissued" cz-52's for about $300. Czechpoint - Product - vz. 52 Pistol - vz. 52 Pistol - Unissued condition
I'm trying to get away from the distractions, not reinforce them! I really NEED a 1911! That's what I'm telling my wife too. You ever hear the little kid whining to their parents, "I really NEED the latest iphone!" That's how I'm working this, I figure since she spoils our son so much, maybe I can get my pleas in and get something done.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Well heck, I just looked at milsurp ammo, for some reason I was thinking it was around 180 grain, but it seems that it's more closer to the 145-150. I think it was the 203 grain silver bear that for some reason was throwing me off.

Is your's romanian? I looked at one just a little while ago, but the description the seller gave kind of scared me "beefed up and reinforced at all the high risk areas" didn't sound to confidence inspiring.

Considering it's in one of my favorite chamberings, and I already know about how cheap the ammo is, I'm going to be seriously looking into one of these.

Now I've added yet another gun to the list to interfere with me wanting a 1911.
Colt 1911
PSA AR
AK
PSL
CZ 52

Seems like the closer I get to the tax return, the more confused and sidetracked I get. I may just have to stop with this forum for a while, you guys keep giving me ideas.

Yeah mine is romanian i think all the psl are romanian cept the recievers are made in the usa. If you can get one cheap enough you can have it reworked. But i would shop around for matching wood accessories etc. They can be rebarreled but its not a task i would do myself.

Short of rebarreling you can pretty much do everything else yourself. Parts are readily available from various sources. Lack of parts is why i didnt get a svd tigr or ndm.

Psl and svd are not true sniper rifles the way we in the west define it. In soviet combloc type countries which romania was one the standard was mansized target up to 800m. If a rifle was 1.5 to 3 moa it was deemed sniper or designated marksmen quality.

To combloc doctrine they were looking for a mass producable rifle that was capable of 3 moa or less they could hand to a guy that was only going to spend two years in service.

The romanians found the svd too complex and developed the psl as an easier to produce rifle that filled the exact same role cheaper and easier.

With the pso type scope you could literally train a "sniper" in a few hours and have thousands of them on the battlefield in short order.

Our training is vastly more in depth and specialized leaving us with few very highly trained individuals.

Which theory is better?? Dunno. But the germans foundout in the 40s. When the russians learn a lesson they run with it.

When people look at the svd and psl they think sniper rifle but that really doesnt apply to their military doctrine.

I digress. Ammo is cheap to buy. 880 rounds for maybe 140$ give or take either way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #24

Yeah, its the same ammo my mosin uses, I've got a good bit banked but none on hand at the moment. I look at my ammo stash as a savings account, once something goes in, it doesn't come out except for its intended use or an emergency. And my ammo stash's intended use IS in case of emergency.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #25

And I think the russian snipers pretty much wrote their own doctrine once they were in the field. And yeah, the germans found out the hard way.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #26

Liked 58 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I had been looking for a decent PSL for a bit as im quite fond of the 7.62x54r and wanted a semi-auto for that round. all the various PSL ive come across in shops and gunshows werent very well put together, or had mismatched wood with poor fit, or had been abused too much for my tastes.

i noticed one of the members here had one for sale and after a few q/a pm's and some close up pics i bought it. i want to say thanks to JPattersonnh its a FANTASTIC rifle in mint new unfired condition!! the innards were still coated in cosmoline. took me 2 days to get it all clean. had to completely remove all the pieces from the reciever and the wood off the gas tube to get the cosmo out. all parts are matching which is rare for a PSL

i was going to take it out this weekend but i cant find my rcbs single stage shell holder for the 762x54r had it a few weeks ago now its gone *sigh* so it will have to wait till i find it.

it came with 3 mags and a 4x pso scope. im pretty impressed with the scope. the glass is clear and bright, it has the rubber eyepiece which is adjustable to achieve the correct eye relief. eye relief is super critical to getting the most out of soviet style scopes. a lot of folks dont understand the purpose of the rubber eyepiece some think its a sunshade others a dust cover. what it really is for is to get quick under stress repeatable no guess eye relief from shot to shot. it does have a sunshad and its a retractable one built into the scope itself. the next two pics show it extended and retracted.

the trigger on this one is a two stage military trigger and unlike every other PSL ive come across its very crisp on the 2nd stage. i would say its on par with the RRA 2 stage NM trigger. its a few pounds heavier but every bit as crisp. i would describe it as glass rod breaking good.

another cool feature is it has the bolt hold open on last shot fired that only comes on a few PSL models from what i understand. you can see the tab on the back of the mag that holds it open on the last shot

overall im really impressed. cant wait to get some good ammo made and give it a go.
Thanks for posting this! I am considering picking up one of these myself.
Here is a question for you.
How hard is it to find ammo? I gather from your post that you reload 7.65X54 but I do not reload. I haven't really looked around but also have not noticed this round in any stores where I usually pick up 7.62X39 for my AK. If you don't reload do you need to buy in bulk online?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

You can find it online for cheap in huge quantities. Just be sure of shipping charges before you buy. If you have a lgs you deal with talk to them about a bulk purchase. They may be able to get a better price from whomever they are getting their bulk x39 from.

Ammo in the x54r is getting much more common and even winchester is making a reloadable whitebox version of it. Several big makers are producing noncorrosive reloadable x54r now mainly due to the wildly popular 91/30. Think that this round is on the verge of becoming a very common round in the near future. Its showing all the signs.

I get mine from rguns in illinoise of all places. They do ship it out and are a importer of the mosin 91/30. But its only a 45 minute drive for me so i dont know what shipping costs would from them.

Their cs is variable depending on who answers the phone, but their surplus stuff is good.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #28

JonM- Awesome rifle man! Thats truely a great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I like that a lot. Does anyone make an AK in x54?
yes there is such an ak check this out.
Vepr Dragunov Style Rifle 762 x 54R Russian

I personally just ordered this gun, a Super Vepr .308
Super Vepr .308 Russian AK47 Rifle
Looks like im joining all you Kalashnikov fans.
Never thought i would, but with that kind of accuracy and durability....who can say no?

I can't fix stupid!!
-Walther PPQ 40 s&w-edc
-Mossberg 590, 8+1 shot, 12 gauge-home defense

Old 01-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

found some more cosmoline in the stock tonite. also discovered that the psl has a recoil absorbing buttplate that uses a pair of shock absorbing springs to help tame recoil.

to get the buttplate off i had to compress the springs then remove the swivel. to do that i used a clamp.

you can see how much cosmo was in there!!

you can see where the springs seat in the reccesses in the stock.

there are also a pair of thick steel washers to prevent the springs digging into the wood.

once i got it all cleaned up oiled and with a coat of gun grease to hopefully prevent rust, i reclamped it down and used a big screw driver to pry the swivel back into its holes in the retaining column of the butt pad.

i also after a little experimentaion discovered that the psl mags have a slightly wider spot to press in rounds from the top then you can slide them to the rear. i mention that because it wasnt readily clear to me how the darn things were loaded!!

now i THINK i have it fully cleaned of cosmoline *sigh*