Finally got an AK, sorta... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Finally got an AK, sorta...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 920

I wish either Dragunovs wernt so expensive, or the PSL was based off one and not a AK.. I want a gun from all the major Russian designers!
I already have a Simonov (SKS), my next two: Tokarev (SVT-40), and a Dragunov (SVD), then after that ill worry about the Kalashnikov (AK)... I would love Simonov's other design, the AVS-36, its chambered in the 7.62x54r, but there very rare...

Why can I never like the easy and cheap versions of guns...

Love the gun, Jon... Im jealous...

Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

i would love a real svd also but i just cant justify forking out 8000$+ for a semiauto

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i would love a real svd also but i just cant justify forking out 8000$+ for a semiauto

Your PSL's really making me want that Tigr I seen last time I was at the gun show.. it has the shorter barrel, but the guy wanted $2,000....

I just listed my '03 and '95 in the classified section... Thanks Jon!!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #14

Quote:
thanks. its 24" long quite a few people cut them to 20" and it reportedly improves accuracy and decreases heat build up reducing verticle stringing.
So, the shorter barrels are better??

Is there any issues with ammo? Like only being able to shoot certain types or weights? Any M1 Garand type issues?

Last edited by Trez; 01-16-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Beautiful rifle!
I always wanted to see one with a bull barrel.
I wonder if that bull barrel on classicarms.us could be made to fit? It seems they may be sold out, but they were made for the Czech UK59 machine gun, allegedly.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
So, the shorter barrels are better??

Is there any issues with ammo? Like only being able to shoot certain types or weights? Any M1 Garand type issues?
supposedly from what ive read chopping 4" off doesnt do anything but increase accuracy decrease heat generation and doesnt affect the ammo you can use. PSL are very overgassed which is the main reason you cant go over 150grains without tearing the trunion up. the barrel twist also limits you to lighter weight loads.

both the svd and psl are designed around the 147-150grain bullet at 2750fps out of a 24" barrel. chopping it reduces pressure exerted on the gas piston because the bullet is spending much less time in the barrel.

the main benefit in accuracy gain is the reduction in vertical stringing from heat buildup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Beautiful rifle!
I always wanted to see one with a bull barrel.
I wonder if that bull barrel on classicarms.us could be made to fit? It seems they may be sold out, but they were made for the Czech UK59 machine gun, allegedly.
i doubt it as you still need to get the gas block down to the gas port and there isnt a whole lot of aftermarket gas blocks.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #17

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

both the svd and psl are designed around the 147-150grain bullet at 2750fps out of a 24" barrel. chopping it reduces pressure exerted on the gas piston because the bullet is spending much less time in the barrel.
So does that mean that you can chop the barrel and use a full house load, like 180 to 203 grain?

Old 01-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #18

Awesome... Thanks Jon! I think Im gonna have to get my hustle on....

Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So does that mean that you can chop the barrel and use a full house load, like 180 to 203 grain?
no, those bullet weights will still beat the snot out of it and the barrel twist is wrong for those weights. i think its like a 1:12.5" twist.

it isnt a true hunting rifle altho there are some decent hunting rounds for it in the 147-150 range with softpoints.

im going to treat it the way i treat my garand and stick with the weights its designed for.

if you were willing to take the risk i guess you could as there are a lot of builders out there that can make new trunions and recievers if you dont mind tearing one up and paying for the repairs. its not gonna kaboom or anything but you would need to keep an eye on the reciever and trunion for wear and tear

i would feel comfy using the 150grn loads on anything in north america that you can use 308 0r 30-06 on. the x54r is an excellent deer round

once you go above the weight and/or change the speed you cant really use the reticle and elevation bdc knobs. the pso scopes are desiigned to work with 147-150grn at 2750fps.

you could get a diffrent mount or just forget about the bdc function.

Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #20

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well heck, I just looked at milsurp ammo, for some reason I was thinking it was around 180 grain, but it seems that it's more closer to the 145-150. I think it was the 203 grain silver bear that for some reason was throwing me off.

Is your's romanian? I looked at one just a little while ago, but the description the seller gave kind of scared me "beefed up and reinforced at all the high risk areas" didn't sound to confidence inspiring.

Considering it's in one of my favorite chamberings, and I already know about how cheap the ammo is, I'm going to be seriously looking into one of these.

Now I've added yet another gun to the list to interfere with me wanting a 1911.
Colt 1911
PSA AR
AK
PSL
CZ 52

Seems like the closer I get to the tax return, the more confused and sidetracked I get. I may just have to stop with this forum for a while, you guys keep giving me ideas.