Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Finally got an AK, sorta...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5128 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Default Finally got an AK, sorta...

I had been looking for a decent PSL for a bit as im quite fond of the 7.62x54r and wanted a semi-auto for that round. all the various PSL ive come across in shops and gunshows werent very well put together, or had mismatched wood with poor fit, or had been abused too much for my tastes.

i noticed one of the members here had one for sale and after a few q/a pm's and some close up pics i bought it. i want to say thanks to JPattersonnh its a FANTASTIC rifle in mint new unfired condition!! the innards were still coated in cosmoline. took me 2 days to get it all clean. had to completely remove all the pieces from the reciever and the wood off the gas tube to get the cosmo out. all parts are matching which is rare for a PSL

i was going to take it out this weekend but i cant find my rcbs single stage shell holder for the 762x54r had it a few weeks ago now its gone *sigh* so it will have to wait till i find it.

it came with 3 mags and a 4x pso scope. im pretty impressed with the scope. the glass is clear and bright, it has the rubber eyepiece which is adjustable to achieve the correct eye relief. eye relief is super critical to getting the most out of soviet style scopes. a lot of folks dont understand the purpose of the rubber eyepiece some think its a sunshade others a dust cover. what it really is for is to get quick under stress repeatable no guess eye relief from shot to shot. it does have a sunshad and its a retractable one built into the scope itself. the next two pics show it extended and retracted.

the trigger on this one is a two stage military trigger and unlike every other PSL ive come across its very crisp on the 2nd stage. i would say its on par with the RRA 2 stage NM trigger. its a few pounds heavier but every bit as crisp. i would describe it as glass rod breaking good.

another cool feature is it has the bolt hold open on last shot fired that only comes on a few PSL models from what i understand. you can see the tab on the back of the mag that holds it open on the last shot

overall im really impressed. cant wait to get some good ammo made and give it a go.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-15-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I had been looking for a decent PSL for a bit as im quite fond of the 7.62x54r and wanted a semi-auto for that round. all the various PSL ive come across in shops and gunshows werent very well put together, or had mismatched wood with poor fit, or had been abused too much for my tastes.

i noticed one of the members here had one for sale and after a few q/a pm's and some close up pics i bought it. i want to say thanks to JPattersonnh its a FANTASTIC rifle in mint new unfired condition!! the innards were still coated in cosmoline. took me 2 days to get it all clean. had to completely remove all the pieces from the reciever and the wood off the gas tube to get the cosmo out.

i was going to take it out this weekend but i cant find my rcbs single stage shell holder for the 762x54r had it a few weeks ago now its gone *sigh* so it will have to wait till i find it.

it came with 3 mags and a 4x pso scope. im pretty impressed with the scope. the glass is clear and bright, it has the rubber eyepiece which is adjustable to achieve the correct eye relief. eye relief is super critical to getting the most out of soviet style scopes. a lot of folks dont understand the purpose of the rubber eyepiece some think its a sunshade others a dust cover. what it really is for is to get quick under stress repeatable no guess eye relief from shot to shot. it does have a sunshad and its a retractable one built into the scope itself. the next two pics show it extended and retracted.

the trigger on this one is a two stage military trigger and unlike every other PSL ive come across its very crisp on the 2nd stage. i would say its on par with the RRA 2 stage NM trigger. its a few pounds heavier but every bit as crisp. i would describe it as glass rod breaking good.

overall im really impressed. cant wait to get some good ammo made and give it a go.
Wow...great lookin' rifle, man!

That's great info on the scope as well, I didn't have a clue that's what that was for...or that it had a "telescoping" integral sunshade.

Man, that barrel is longer than a semi truck!

Congrats...

Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6686 Times on 4042 Posts
Likes Given: 7955

CONGRATULATIONS!!

It's a beauty. Enjoy that new gun. Isn't it fun to find exactly what you are looking for?

Tuck it in bed between you and your wife tonight. She won't mind. Hahaha

Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
Wow...great lookin' rifle, man!

That's great info on the scope as well, I didn't have a clue that's what that was for...or that it had a "telescoping" integral sunshade.

Man, that barrel is longer than a semi truck!

Congrats...
thanks. its 24" long quite a few people cut them to 20" and it reportedly improves accuracy and decreases heat build up reducing verticle stringing. one other thing i forgot to add but ill go re-edit is its got a last shot bolt hold open!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!

It's a beauty. Enjoy that new gun. Isn't it fun to find exactly what you are looking for?

Tuck it in bed between you and your wife tonight. She won't mind. Hahaha
its already spent an evening in the bedroom!! loaded of coarse!! lol!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #5

NICE!! You are gonna love it. Mine gets more range time than any other rifle I own. They are just so darn much fun to shoot.

Only thing wrong with my Romak III, (PSL, FPK) is that I should have bought two of them, they are really that good. I might have to find another one yet.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 AM   #6

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'll have to get one one day. If for nothing else, its in one of my favorite chamberings.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I like that a lot. Does anyone make an AK in x54?

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #8

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I like that a lot. Does anyone make an AK in x54?
Other than the variants of the above PSL and Dragunov platform, I don't think so, but I've been wrong before.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The psl is an ak some of the parts interchange with the wasr ak. I believe only romania makes em and sells the parts kits to american importers who put them together. From my research the psl is the only semi chambering the x54r otner than the svt40. There is the chinese ndm and soviet tiger both are basically dragunovs and the dragunov itself. All three are 2000+ even for poor condition

Psl's are also called dragunov and fpk sometimes mixing all three names depending on the importer. The one i have is a tennesee gunworks which seem to be the better ones. It is stamped psl/fpk by tgi Every now and then aim surplus brings some in. Now that we are out of iraq there may be more part kits available to import as the demand goes down.

The other option is to buy a beater and have it re-built by one the ak conversion companies. Or hunt around for one in good shape. There are a lot out there. Ive seen em sell in poor condition for as low as 300. I was getting ready to get one and have it revamped when i saw jpattersonnh was
Selling his.

Last edited by JonM; 01-15-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I really like it Jon.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."