Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   feels as if I lost a child... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/feels-if-i-lost-child-65337/)

UrbanNinja 05-29-2012 01:25 AM

feels as if I lost a child...

Today for the first time EVER.. I got rid of one of my guns. Ive never been able to bring myself to get rid of ANY of my guns, even if i didn't like it.

Today I sold one of my SKS rifles..
Sure the SKS is a 'dime a dozen' rifle.. but it actually feels like I gave away one of my kids.

I did it for good reason though. I am using the money to restore a small vintage dirtbike for my son. As much as I tell myself "you're doing it for the boy" it still feels wrong... the rifle is replaceable but time with my son is not.

How do any of you feel when selling,trading or giving away a firearm?

Kalash1138 05-29-2012 01:28 AM

I'da parted with the entire Glock factory before one SKS:(

Sniper03 05-29-2012 01:36 AM

Ninja,

As a father myself and now a Grandpa X5 your "Thread" I can relate to. But the good news is your son will not forget the sacrifice you have made for him. It is a personal thing! It shows true love and when he gets older this act will be a very fond memory for him. As well as set a great example! When my son got ready to graduate years ago I wanted to get him something special. He liking music and the guitar, that was my decision. I sold my Browning HI-Power 9mm Pistol that was like new to get the money for the New Gretsch Supra Guitar I purchased for him. He has never forgot this act of love and we spoke about it as recently as this week when his son my oldest grandson just graduated this past Saturday. It will not doubt produce great memories for both of you and the importance of a father and son relationship. Making the gun even more valuable than it actualy was! Money nor material items can buy the reward that was gained. :D

Chainfire 05-29-2012 02:02 AM

You do what you have to do for your kids. It may hurt now, but it will feel good later.

winds-of-change 05-29-2012 02:20 AM

I have never sold a gun yet but I would feel the same as you do.

tacticalfun 05-29-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja
Today for the first time EVER.. I got rid of one of my guns. Ive never been able to bring myself to get rid of ANY of my guns, even if i didn't like it.

Today I sold one of my SKS rifles..
Sure the SKS is a 'dime a dozen' rifle.. but it actually feels like I gave away one of my kids.

I did it for good reason though. I am using the money to restore a small vintage dirtbike for my son. As much as I tell myself "you're doing it for the boy" it still feels wrong... the rifle is replaceable but time with my son is not.

How do any of you feel when selling,trading or giving away a firearm?

I had to sell my colt ar to get home when my car broke down :( was a sad day

LikeABoss 05-29-2012 02:56 AM

Have bought and sold too many to remember, the loss is healed as soon as I spend the money, I only sell to buy something else.

UrbanNinja 05-29-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire
You do what you have to do for your kids. It may hurt now, but it will feel good later.

It feel right and wrong at the same time. I just never thought I'd feel like there's a void in my life after selling a gun. Lol

I do not regret selling it whatsoever. My son is the most important thing in my life, he always comes first before anything or anyone.

When I began the restoration of the dirtbike, I didn't realize how expensive the parts were for it and I should have known, since it is a little rare. But when the thought of selling a gun came to mind... I never hesitated, I just did it. The "void" didn't come until after it was gone. Lol

94browninghunt 05-29-2012 04:23 PM

Kinda like when my brother lost his job but wanted to get him a birthday gift. Sold two old rifles to get me my birthday gift and I won't ever forget it. And I'm sure your son wouldn't ever forget your sacrifice either!

therewolf 05-29-2012 05:11 PM

Eeehh, broom it. It's just a gun.

Nothing to compare with quality time

with your family.