Favorite flavor? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Favorite flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslman View Post
Ain't nothing wrong that my friend!

I've seen so many of them modified that it's kinda nice to see a clean original like this.
+1
There is really nothing wrong with the bush-hole stock ... I think the fact that they were shoved down our throats to begin with is the main reason why so many people converted them ... and a lot of them were badly done.

My favorites are the Hungarian AKM's ... I just love that blonde beach wood!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydriver View Post
+1
There is really nothing wrong with the bush-hole stock ... I think the fact that they were shoved down our throats to begin with is the main reason why so many people converted them ... and a lot of them were badly done.

My favorites are the Hungarian AKM's ... I just love that blonde beach wood!
I have a Hungarian project in the works right now that will have blonde wood. I ordered one of those TimberSmith unfinished stock sets. It has a nice grain pattern and I'm wondering if Minwax Golden pecan will be too dark for it.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I have a Hungarian project in the works right now that will have blonde wood. I ordered one of those TimberSmith unfinished stock sets. It has a nice grain pattern and I'm wondering if Minwax Golden pecan will be too dark for it.
Most hardware stores have samples of what stains look like on a variety of woods so you might be able to get some idea. I've never bought any US wood except from Ironwood which is what my under-folder has on it. I checked out TimberSmith's site and it looks pretty good ... I didn't understand why the finished and unfinished were both the same price ... maybe an error?

How far along are you on your project? What all have you got planned for it?

Last edited by skydriver; 09-15-2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: piss poore spellin

Old 09-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I posted this on another forum, but feel that it may help here so here it goes:

"I have this SLR 101 S Bulgarian milled receiver that cost me under $800.00 NIB out the door a few yrs back with OD green furniture.

ARSENAL INC

K-Var Corp. ™

The new US milled receivers should be better than the Bulgarians and the Bulgarians are tack drivers, but the new MSRP are double the price I paid out the door a few yrs back.

If you got the dough, then nothing will beat a milled receiver AK so get a used Bulgarian or a new high dollar US made receiver.

I got a stamped Maadi that aside the trigger slap (easy fixed if the owner wants to) shoots fine for an AK, but side by side the milled receiver is a higher quality rifle by a long shot and also shoots where you aim (unlike most stamped AKs).

If I got the dough, I would go with the SAM7-13, sweet rifle."

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydriver View Post
Most hardware stores have samples of what stains look like on a variety of woods so you might be able to get some idea. I've never bought any US wood except from Ironwood which is what my under-folder has on it. I checked out TimberSmith's site and it looks pretty good ... I didn't understand why the finished and unfinished were both the same price ... maybe an error?

How far along are you on your project? What all have you got planned for it?
I've noticed the price thing too but don't understand it. The only complaint I have with my set is the butt stock did not come drilled for the cleaning kit. There is a slight indentation where the hole could be drilled but I was a bit disappointed they didn't drill it out.

My rifle is at the builder's right now and should be done in a couple weeks. I'm having the magwell opened up to accept the standard mags. The FSB and gas block are being swapped out so I can have a bayo and cleaning rod. Then they'll refinish the metal to match the original gloss black and I'm adding the wood. It won't be a tacticool mall ninja wet dream, it's just going to be a clean, simple pre-ban style build.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I posted this on another forum, but feel that it may help here so here it goes:

"I have this SLR 101 S Bulgarian milled receiver that cost me under $800.00 NIB out the door a few yrs back with OD green furniture.

ARSENAL INC

K-Var Corp. ™

The new US milled receivers should be better than the Bulgarians and the Bulgarians are tack drivers, but the new MSRP are double the price I paid out the door a few yrs back.

If you got the dough, then nothing will beat a milled receiver AK so get a used Bulgarian or a new high dollar US made receiver.

I got a stamped Maadi that aside the trigger slap (easy fixed if the owner wants to) shoots fine for an AK, but side by side the milled receiver is a higher quality rifle by a long shot and also shoots where you aim (unlike most stamped AKs).

If I got the dough, I would go with the SAM7-13, sweet rifle."
I'm thinking my next AK should be milled since I don't have one. Congrats on the SLR 101 S you have BTW.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
I'm thinking my next AK should be milled since I don't have one. Congrats on the SLR 101 S you have BTW.
Thanks, get one, you won't be disappointed for sure, really well made rifles, finish and attention to detail is in the high end, thou expensive.

Mine shoots better than I can shoot, I'll get a scope some day to help my tired eyes.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 09-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #28

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Arsenal every day of the week...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix