Dragunov≠Kalashnikov;Kalashnikov≠Dragunov.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Dragunov≠Kalashnikov;Kalashnikov≠Dragunov.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Dragunov≠Kalashnikov;Kalashnikov≠Dragunov.

Why some people don't realize that the Dragunov is not a member of the AK rifle family and keep saying that it is the sniper version of the AK?

Why some people says that rifles like Zastava m76 are the last version/member of the Dragunov rifle family?

The most funny thing is that these guys consider themeselves as gun experts.

FACTS
1)Kalashnikov and its design doesn't have anything to do with dragunov, except for the external look of the gun(very similar to the ak) and maybe the bolt and safety.
-The dragunov has a on-field removable trigger group
-The drag uses a short-stroke mechanism
-the bolt carrier is different

-Rifles like the M76 are kalashnikov, since it shares 99+% of the Kalashnikov design!!!It's doesn't have anything to do with the dragunov, they only share the design concept.

Is it really so difficult to pick these rifles, dissasemble them and get to the right conclusion?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8931 Times on 5344 Posts
Likes Given: 11932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Why some people don't realize that the Dragunov is not a member of the AK rifle family and keep saying that it is the sniper version of the AK?

Why some people says that rifles like Zastava m76 are the last version/member of the Dragunov rifle family?

The most funny thing is that these guys consider themeselves as gun experts.

FACTS
1)Kalashnikov and its design doesn't have anything to do with dragunov, except for the external look of the gun(very similar to the ak) and maybe the bolt and safety.
-The dragunov has a on-field removable trigger group
-The drag uses a short-stroke mechanism
-the bolt carrier is different

-Rifles like the M76 are kalashnikov, since it shares 99+% of the Kalashnikov design!!!It's doesn't have anything to do with the dragunov, they only share the design concept.

Is it really so difficult to pick these rifles, dissasemble them and get to the right conclusion?
It would be for me. Just saying.....some of us are still learning.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #3

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

There's a lot of confusion.

Really?

On it's WORST DAY EVER, a Simonovski (SKS) could not

be an AKM.

The Molot VEPRS are Russian made, and generally follow

the AK design, but the average AKM can't even fart in

the general direction of VEPR overall quality.

So I hear ya...

Old 08-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #4

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Part of the confusion comes from companies marketing the PSL as the "Yugoslav Dragunov". Though it is really an enlarged AK. Combine that witht the short period of time that Dragunovs were imported, and people get confused. They will see a PSL with it's long barrel, and skelotonized stock, scope, and 7.62x54R chambering and just go along with the marketing as a Dragunov.

PSL and Dragunov silhouettes are a bit more similar. PSL and AK internals are more similar to each other than PSL and Dragunov internals.

Finding a real Dragunov, or even one of the Chinese Tiger versions of the Dragunov can be a bit difficult and when they are found they are a lot more expensive. So, folks will settle for a PSL, and beef up their own ego by refering to it as "basically the same as a Dragunov". Then the myth and confusion grow.

The PSL is not a bad rifle, it was designed to be more of a squad marksmans rifle, giving optics, reach, and barrier penetration advantages at the squad level. But, it was never intended to be a true sniper rifle, and it is not a Dragunov.
People Like This 
Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Part of the confusion comes from companies marketing the PSL as the "Yugoslav Dragunov". Though it is really an enlarged AK. Combine that witht the short period of time that Dragunovs were imported, and people get confused. They will see a PSL with it's long barrel, and skelotonized stock, scope, and 7.62x54R chambering and just go along with the marketing as a Dragunov.

PSL and Dragunov silhouettes are a bit more similar. PSL and AK internals are more similar to each other than PSL and Dragunov internals.

Finding a real Dragunov, or even one of the Chinese Tiger versions of the Dragunov can be a bit difficult and when they are found they are a lot more expensive. So, folks will settle for a PSL, and beef up their own ego by refering to it as "basically the same as a Dragunov". Then the myth and confusion grow.

The PSL is not a bad rifle, it was designed to be more of a squad marksmans rifle, giving optics, reach, and barrier penetration advantages at the squad level. But, it was never intended to be a true sniper rifle, and it is not a Dragunov.
This hits it on the head. Marketing people throw the Dragunov name onto any similar looking rifle because they believe it will increase interest and allow them to charge more. Anyone doing this should be sued for fraud. As an owner of a PSL, I can attest to the fact that it's a long-action AK and there is no similarity to a Dragunov except caliber. While the PSL feels better fitted than a clone AK and fires the 7.62X54 round extremely accurately, it would take a lot of gunsmithing to get MOA groups at range, something a Dragunov does out of the box.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TDS92A Likes This 
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
There's a lot of confusion.

Really?

On it's WORST DAY EVER, a Simonovski (SKS) could not

be an AKM.

The Molot VEPRS are Russian made, and generally follow

the AK design, but the average AKM can't even fart in

the general direction of VEPR overall quality.

So I hear ya...
You're damn right!!!Do you know what it really make me angry?When I read and article on a damn gun magazine where they talk about an AK and a SKS or a vz58 is displayed in the pictures and called "Kalashnikov" in the picture's description!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!?!?ON A GUN MAGAZINE?!

Old 08-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #7

Default Right, but this is not the only case

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

Last time I watched a video on youtube where an Italian gun seller(who defined himself as an expert) was showing a Zastava M76.In the video he said that he M76 is the last version of the Dragunov(????????).In the same video he disassembled a Dragunov and the M76 and guess what?The idiot kept saying the M76 is a Dragunov family member.I wrote a long comment where I explicitly asked if he's an idiot or what.

Who the hell can newbie learn, if he so called experienced shooters talk *hit?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #8

Default Misleading Fraud

mIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
This hits it on the head. Marketing people throw the Dragunov name onto any similar looking rifle because they believe it will increase interest and allow them to charge more. Anyone doing this should be sued for fraud. As an owner of a PSL, I can attest to the fact that it's a long-action AK and there is no similarity to a Dragunov except caliber. While the PSL feels better fitted than a clone AK and fires the 7.62X54 round extremely accurately, it would take a lot of gunsmithing to get MOA groups at range, something a Dragunov does out of the box.
The should be a law that prosecute these kind of things with passing through a trial.

PSL≠Dragunov≠Tabuk≠Zastava M76

Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Van_Goth View Post
Last time I watched a video on youtube where an Italian gun seller(who defined himself as an expert) was showing a Zastava M76.In the video he said that he M76 is the last version of the Dragunov(????????).In the same video he disassembled a Dragunov and the M76 and guess what?The idiot kept saying the M76 is a Dragunov family member.I wrote a long comment where I explicitly asked if he's an idiot or what.

Who the hell can newbie learn, if he so called experienced shooters talk *hit?
You have to do research. Research written by experts in the field, or peer reviewed sources. YouTube is a social site where any idiot with an opinion and a video phone can vomit his opinion onto the public. FaceBook, MySpace and Twitter are not "expert" sources. Wikipedia is not a vetted source, just a different kind of social site, unless using the "Cited" sources at the bottom and they can be validated. Since the quality of writers has dropped precipitously in recent years, magazines and newspapers are no longer credible sources. You need to find someone with accurate data that has researched the subject extensively. Libraries and book stores generally stock huge volumes (500+ pages) that have data and history, but you have to buy or rent the book and actually READ it! The difference being that you yourself will become so well-versed on the subject that others will consider you an expert!

Remember the Internet Credibility Rule: if its on the Internet, it's NOT credible!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-31-2013, 05:33 AM   #10

Liked 187 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

You get a kid that was raised on call of duty that has money to blow or what ever and they want to buy a gun, and hell most gamers love being "snipers" so they see this gun that they've shot thousands of rounds through (in game) and they see the name Dragunov and they just mess there pants over it and they'll spend the money on it same with AR's AK's and hell anything that possibly could be in the video games they've played. The reason they fork out a crap load of money on a not dragunov is simply because they don't know any better.

The same reason why people run around calling AKM's AK47's just because usually they don't know any better, I'm not going to lie it erks the hell out of me when people call my AKM an AK47. I understand where your coming from but most people don't care to take the time to actually learn about things like this they just see a gun watch a youtube video then buy it or not.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED