Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Do you keep your mags loaded long term..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Do you keep your mags loaded long term..?

I would like to keep a couple mags loaded and ready all the time. I posted this question on another forum, do you think it's ok to keep them loaded for long term storage? A few ex military said they were told to keep them loaded, but pull one or two rounds. Some others said it's ok, as long as you don't extend the spring beyond it's designed parameters. In other words keeping it compressed won't hurt it.

I think maybe every month unloading them, and reloading them should be ok.

What do you guys do...?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It is my understanding based on personal discussion and a number of threads like this one that MOST people agree that periodic unloading is not needed or helpful. Some people load one or two short for a variety of reasons usually including oral tradition. I leave them all loaded, but i do load 1 round short.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Leaving them loaded for long term doesn't hurt them at all. I've left 20 round M1 carbine magazines loaded for 30 years and found them, used them, and they work well. It's the use of them, loading and unloading, that wears them out. I have herd, however, several comments in the past years, that old BAR magazines are sometimes problematical if left loaded for many years. Don't know if this is true but none of the magazines for the rifles or pistols I've had did it make a difference.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 363 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 993

it depends on who you ask some say its fine to leave a spring compressed some say its not.i would not leave them loaded long term mainly because i like to rotate my ammo every couple years just personal prefrence.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

If it has an external mag, it stays loaded. I keep one mag unloaded for pics/malfunction drills with caps.

I take that back....I do keep my AR10 mags unloaded. They're just too damned expensive to take the chance. Could've bought a nice little pistol for what I have invested in five 25rd ArmaLite mags.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Mods, can we sticky this thread for reference?

{contemplates all the wrong ways that could be understood}

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I leave a few mags loaded. 27 rounds in each. I also keep a bunch unloaded as loaded mags in a car = loaded weapon. Just grab a few empties, toss them in the range bag and away I go.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's the movement of the spring that weakens it. Keeping them loaded is better than loading and then reloading them every month.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
It's the movement of the spring that weakens it. Keeping them loaded is better than loading and then reloading them every month.
{sigh}
An improperly designed spring will fail from being fully loaded and/or being cycled too many times.

I trust all the big manufacturers to properly design their springs.

I have asked this question several times before, who has EVER had a gun manufacturers magazine spring fail? I don't want to hear about my neighbors brothers LEO's Glock, and especially don't want to hear about the cheap aftermarket mag.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Mods, can we sticky this thread for reference?

{contemplates all the wrong ways that could be understood}
There have been many threads on this issue. Some of them got pretty technical concerning the metallurgy of the issue. This isn't quite sticky-worthy IMO.

An empty magazine is USELESS!!! For some guns I have a few mags that are basically just for the range and I keep empty. But otherwise, every mag I have, including every AR-15 mag, is loaded and ready to go.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face