Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Do you keep your mags loaded long term..? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/do-you-keep-your-mags-loaded-long-term-57655/)

dahur 02-13-2012 06:37 PM

Do you keep your mags loaded long term..?

I would like to keep a couple mags loaded and ready all the time. I posted this question on another forum, do you think it's ok to keep them loaded for long term storage? A few ex military said they were told to keep them loaded, but pull one or two rounds. Some others said it's ok, as long as you don't extend the spring beyond it's designed parameters. In other words keeping it compressed won't hurt it.

I think maybe every month unloading them, and reloading them should be ok.

What do you guys do...?

orangello 02-13-2012 06:45 PM

It is my understanding based on personal discussion and a number of threads like this one that MOST people agree that periodic unloading is not needed or helpful. Some people load one or two short for a variety of reasons usually including oral tradition. I leave them all loaded, but i do load 1 round short.

mrm14 02-13-2012 07:24 PM

Leaving them loaded for long term doesn't hurt them at all. I've left 20 round M1 carbine magazines loaded for 30 years and found them, used them, and they work well. It's the use of them, loading and unloading, that wears them out. I have herd, however, several comments in the past years, that old BAR magazines are sometimes problematical if left loaded for many years. Don't know if this is true but none of the magazines for the rifles or pistols I've had did it make a difference.

rifleman1 02-13-2012 07:48 PM

it depends on who you ask some say its fine to leave a spring compressed some say its not.i would not leave them loaded long term mainly because i like to rotate my ammo every couple years just personal prefrence.

Chandler51 02-13-2012 08:16 PM

If it has an external mag, it stays loaded. I keep one mag unloaded for pics/malfunction drills with caps.

I take that back....I do keep my AR10 mags unloaded. They're just too damned expensive to take the chance. Could've bought a nice little pistol for what I have invested in five 25rd ArmaLite mags. :(

orangello 02-13-2012 08:22 PM

Mods, can we sticky this thread for reference?

{contemplates all the wrong ways that could be understood}

jpattersonnh 02-13-2012 10:16 PM

I leave a few mags loaded. 27 rounds in each. I also keep a bunch unloaded as loaded mags in a car = loaded weapon. Just grab a few empties, toss them in the range bag and away I go.

mjkeat 02-14-2012 12:58 AM

It's the movement of the spring that weakens it. Keeping them loaded is better than loading and then reloading them every month.

partdeux 02-14-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 707933)
It's the movement of the spring that weakens it. Keeping them loaded is better than loading and then reloading them every month.

{sigh}
An improperly designed spring will fail from being fully loaded and/or being cycled too many times.

I trust all the big manufacturers to properly design their springs.

I have asked this question several times before, who has EVER had a gun manufacturers magazine spring fail? I don't want to hear about my neighbors brothers LEO's Glock, and especially don't want to hear about the cheap aftermarket mag.

CHLChris 02-14-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 707583)
Mods, can we sticky this thread for reference?

{contemplates all the wrong ways that could be understood}

There have been many threads on this issue. Some of them got pretty technical concerning the metallurgy of the issue. This isn't quite sticky-worthy IMO.

An empty magazine is USELESS!!! For some guns I have a few mags that are basically just for the range and I keep empty. But otherwise, every mag I have, including every AR-15 mag, is loaded and ready to go.