In a Dillemma
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > In a Dillemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default In a Dillemma

I am in a bit of a tight spot right now. I currently own a Bushmaster xm15-e2s and I love the weapon. It is a tack driver, has low recoil and is a weapon platform I have a lot of experience with. However, I looked at the price of ammo recently and with my budget, I cannot afford to shoot this weapon anymore.

So I looked into getting an AK style rifle. From what I remember, they used to be around $500-600 new. I figured if I sold the AR I could just trade it in for a Kalashnikov. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! Suddenly WASRs are worth $700-800? The 7.62x39 is still way cheaper than any .223 I've found but golly that just seems ridiculous to pay that much for an AK.

What are your suggestions? Should I dump the AR and get an AK or is it not worth selling my Bushmaster for $750 and then trying to pick up an AK? What rifle would you recommend for my price range? Is it worth the trade? I want to have one of these rifles because I like having the high magazine capacity and I also have an inkling they will be banned in my lifetime.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Keep the ar and save up money.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #3

Liked 695 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Keep the ar and save up money.
TOTALLY agree with Mountain on this. Stick with the rifle you know & love. Once it's all said and done and the dust settles from the horse-trading you really wouldn't save that much. My suggestion is set yourself up on Gunbot http://gunbot.net/ and Ammoseek http://ammoseek.com/ and keep an eye out on the major retailers (Cabela's, Gander Mnt, Bass Pro, etc) and know that the flow of ammo is getting better every week. Even my local Ma & Pa has plenty of Federal .223 and Remmy 5.56 for about $9 to $11 for a box of 20..... Unless there is yet another panic, things should only improve. Just buy a box here & there when you get paid and stock up.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My vote is keep the AR and slowly stock up on ammo. If i didnt have a supply built up, i would barely have gone shooting since sandy hook. Now im starting to see good deals again and ive gotten into reloading, so im building supplies and get to go shooting pretty much whenever the mood strikes, regardless of prices or shortages.

Dont forget to check out the local gun shops. Here, Frontier has had ammo in stock when no one else did, and they kept the prices reasonable relatively speaking.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

So I can find a box of Tulammo 7.62mm Warsaw for about $5 to $6 and I can find a box of Tulammo .223 for about....$5 to $6.

I'm not seeing much price advantage these days, just more availability for 7.62x39mm. Across the entire spectrum of ammo the 7.62 might be cheaper on average but on the lower end it's about the same.

AR prices are down about pre-panic levels. I can find plenty of entry level AR's for $700 to $1,000. AK's are harder to come by for some reason and while prices are dropping they are still higher overall. I'd guestimate about $100 to $200 higher than they were pre-Newtown. For whatever reason AK's are still overpriced and Mini-14's are still unavailable despite ammo supplies starting to come back and AR's being plentiful.

I think you're better off sticking with what you have. By the time AK's drop back to pre-panic prices the cheap .223/5.56 ammo should be available in your area again. Just a hunch.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
I am in a bit of a tight spot right now. I currently own a Bushmaster xm15-e2s and I love the weapon. It is a tack driver, has low recoil and is a weapon platform I have a lot of experience with. However, I looked at the price of ammo recently and with my budget, I cannot afford to shoot this weapon anymore.

So I looked into getting an AK style rifle. From what I remember, they used to be around $500-600 new. I figured if I sold the AR I could just trade it in for a Kalashnikov. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! Suddenly WASRs are worth $700-800? The 7.62x39 is still way cheaper than any .223 I've found but golly that just seems ridiculous to pay that much for an AK.

What are your suggestions? Should I dump the AR and get an AK or is it not worth selling my Bushmaster for $750 and then trying to pick up an AK? What rifle would you recommend for my price range? Is it worth the trade? I want to have one of these rifles because I like having the high magazine capacity and I also have an inkling they will be banned in my lifetime.
Buy and SKS

Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5664 Times on 2958 Posts
Likes Given: 375

keep the ar15 and start getting reloading gear. loading your own will always be cheaper than store bought and even during the worst of the ammo craziness i was able to find gunpowder bullets primers if i looked enough.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

keep the AR. i've got both and i'd rather have the AR if i had to pick. more accurate and lower recoil and more reliable. save your money and shop some deals for bulk 556.

x2 on what Java said too, my local store has tulammo 762 and 556 for $5.xx a box.

if you really want an SKS i'll sell you my norinco and the 600 rounds of ammo i have for it lol

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 SPR - 5.56/.223

Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

If you love the gun don't sell, trade, or get rid of it in any other way; you will regret it. You could save up a bit and get a 7.62x39 upper for it though.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

People Like This 
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #10

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
You could save up a bit and get a 7.62x39 upper for it though.
Dang. That's a good suggestion as well.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain