Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   In a Dillemma (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/dillemma-96488/)

easterner123 09-03-2013 04:03 PM

In a Dillemma

I am in a bit of a tight spot right now. I currently own a Bushmaster xm15-e2s and I love the weapon. It is a tack driver, has low recoil and is a weapon platform I have a lot of experience with. However, I looked at the price of ammo recently and with my budget, I cannot afford to shoot this weapon anymore.

So I looked into getting an AK style rifle. From what I remember, they used to be around $500-600 new. I figured if I sold the AR I could just trade it in for a Kalashnikov. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! Suddenly WASRs are worth $700-800? The 7.62x39 is still way cheaper than any .223 I've found but golly that just seems ridiculous to pay that much for an AK.

What are your suggestions? Should I dump the AR and get an AK or is it not worth selling my Bushmaster for $750 and then trying to pick up an AK? What rifle would you recommend for my price range? Is it worth the trade? I want to have one of these rifles because I like having the high magazine capacity and I also have an inkling they will be banned in my lifetime.

mountainman13 09-03-2013 04:15 PM

Keep the ar and save up money.

NC1760 09-03-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1356682)
Keep the ar and save up money.

TOTALLY agree with Mountain on this. Stick with the rifle you know & love. Once it's all said and done and the dust settles from the horse-trading you really wouldn't save that much. My suggestion is set yourself up on Gunbot http://gunbot.net/ and Ammoseek http://ammoseek.com/ and keep an eye out on the major retailers (Cabela's, Gander Mnt, Bass Pro, etc) and know that the flow of ammo is getting better every week. Even my local Ma & Pa has plenty of Federal .223 and Remmy 5.56 for about $9 to $11 for a box of 20..... Unless there is yet another panic, things should only improve. Just buy a box here & there when you get paid and stock up.

FatTire 09-03-2013 04:51 PM

My vote is keep the AR and slowly stock up on ammo. If i didnt have a supply built up, i would barely have gone shooting since sandy hook. Now im starting to see good deals again and ive gotten into reloading, so im building supplies and get to go shooting pretty much whenever the mood strikes, regardless of prices or shortages.

Dont forget to check out the local gun shops. Here, Frontier has had ammo in stock when no one else did, and they kept the prices reasonable relatively speaking.

CrazedJava 09-03-2013 05:48 PM

So I can find a box of Tulammo 7.62mm Warsaw for about $5 to $6 and I can find a box of Tulammo .223 for about....$5 to $6.

I'm not seeing much price advantage these days, just more availability for 7.62x39mm. Across the entire spectrum of ammo the 7.62 might be cheaper on average but on the lower end it's about the same.

AR prices are down about pre-panic levels. I can find plenty of entry level AR's for $700 to $1,000. AK's are harder to come by for some reason and while prices are dropping they are still higher overall. I'd guestimate about $100 to $200 higher than they were pre-Newtown. For whatever reason AK's are still overpriced and Mini-14's are still unavailable despite ammo supplies starting to come back and AR's being plentiful.

I think you're better off sticking with what you have. By the time AK's drop back to pre-panic prices the cheap .223/5.56 ammo should be available in your area again. Just a hunch.

ccase39 09-04-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easterner123 (Post 1356671)
I am in a bit of a tight spot right now. I currently own a Bushmaster xm15-e2s and I love the weapon. It is a tack driver, has low recoil and is a weapon platform I have a lot of experience with. However, I looked at the price of ammo recently and with my budget, I cannot afford to shoot this weapon anymore.

So I looked into getting an AK style rifle. From what I remember, they used to be around $500-600 new. I figured if I sold the AR I could just trade it in for a Kalashnikov. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?! Suddenly WASRs are worth $700-800? The 7.62x39 is still way cheaper than any .223 I've found but golly that just seems ridiculous to pay that much for an AK.

What are your suggestions? Should I dump the AR and get an AK or is it not worth selling my Bushmaster for $750 and then trying to pick up an AK? What rifle would you recommend for my price range? Is it worth the trade? I want to have one of these rifles because I like having the high magazine capacity and I also have an inkling they will be banned in my lifetime.

Buy and SKS

JonM 09-04-2013 12:50 AM

keep the ar15 and start getting reloading gear. loading your own will always be cheaper than store bought and even during the worst of the ammo craziness i was able to find gunpowder bullets primers if i looked enough.

762 09-04-2013 12:55 AM

keep the AR. i've got both and i'd rather have the AR if i had to pick. more accurate and lower recoil and more reliable. save your money and shop some deals for bulk 556.

x2 on what Java said too, my local store has tulammo 762 and 556 for $5.xx a box.

if you really want an SKS i'll sell you my norinco and the 600 rounds of ammo i have for it lol

Garadex 09-04-2013 12:56 AM

If you love the gun don't sell, trade, or get rid of it in any other way; you will regret it. You could save up a bit and get a 7.62x39 upper for it though.

CrazedJava 09-04-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garadex (Post 1357208)
You could save up a bit and get a 7.62x39 upper for it though.

Dang. That's a good suggestion as well.