Different charging styles for an AK - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Different charging styles for an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As this topic has been beat to death on other forums, it seems to me that shooters that want to bring AK's to tactical rifle matches and compete with AR's are all searching for a speed change/charge solution, thereby creating a market for AM conversions. A so called "tactical" mag change on a closed bolt seems to be the driver for all this hardware.

IMHO, 95% of AK rifle owners who don't pursue match activity are not really concerned with a few tenths of a second to do a reach over or under. One thirty rounder in the weapon should handle the majority of scenarios in the unlikely event that one would come into harms way and use the rifle for that which it is intended.

I mean realistically, if one was in an engagement that required multiple magazine changes, that would be a serious firefight. The rifle matches try to simulate this for competition (fun) and challenge. No cover - exposed "on the run" mag changes and re-charge just don't fit in to anticipated "likely" real world scenarios for me. The changes to the AK platform are just not justified. It ain't broke, IMHO, I don't need to "fix" it.

cheers,
Steve

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only have 40-rounder mags, 4 of them, and two 10 rounders I dont use.
I do plan to pursue matches in the future but at the moment I dont have the money or resources to produce large amounts of ammo that fit the rifle like I want as well as having the rifle anywhere near my ergonomic wants. I'm big on reducing as much hand manipulation as possible to yeild the most results, just the way I be.

How well do the guys that us AKs do agianst ARs? I hear that the AK match goers are behind in the "equipment race" compared to the AR match goers because of all the upgrades available. Is it true?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

As far as the AK not being broke. I agree 100%.

Personally I've never shot an AK vs. AR, so I can't speak from experience. (Only loosely compete in Sporting Clays and slow-fire for now, I know lame huh?) But a friend of mine is an expert at just about anything firearm related and has shot those types of matches annually for several years. He says that he beat his own AR score with his AK more than once.

There is something about AKs. . . they don't print well on paper, but they can hit objects that you shoot at.

The AK has worked well for the better part of a century, why change it up now?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ratchet Charging System update

Well, its been a few months and Ethan Dublin is putting the polishing finishes on his new ratchet charging system. This time the bolt is non-reciprocating bolt design. This time the bolt isnt up at an angle, its sticks straight out from the left of the gun. The top of the gas tube is flat and if he had half a brain he'd drill and tap the gas tube for the mall-ninjas who want a scout optic on their AK.

This second generation RCS is a good idea in my opinion but is mostly for those who like to modify and accesorise their rifles to fit their wants. I may get one but then again I may just stick with what I got. He says it looks like it may cost $175 for the new system and is accepting pre-orders.

AK Ratchet Charging

As for myself, I put on a stock converter end on the rifle that makes it accept AR-15 stocks and added an adjustable/collapseable stock for my AK with an adjustable cheek-weld, made by ATI (non-folding). Its actually a good thing I did add the stock since it has a recoil reducer in it. I let the 4-H kids shoot the rifle at the range and they were estatic they shot an AK-47 and it didnt kick anywhere near as much as they thought it would.