Different charging styles for an AK - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Different charging styles for an AK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3042 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quite frankly, I don't see the point. The Russian Spetznaz have EXTENSIVE experience with the AK rifles. The reach under and charge with the left thumb. Trying to spend hundreds of dollars to adapt a rifle to comply with your ideals is silly. if not down right stupid.

If you want to charge the rifle from the left side you have the wrong rifle. Get an HK, FN, AR, etc that is made that way. If you have a British made "right drive" car and you want to be able to shift with your right hand, you would not get it converted to the standard left drive, you would get a standard car, right?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah you're probably right. . . since I'm going to the range today I guess I'll just have to shoot several hundred rounds through my AK on this beautiful day in CO. While I'm at it I'll be sure to take note of my charging habits and mag release.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #13

i never take my hand off the pistol grip to charge my ak. you need to practice your technique.

i wouldnt put one of those abominations on my rifle if they paid me to use it.

and im sorry but the "well, their website says it works" argument aint doing **** for me

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
i never take my hand off the pistol grip to charge my ak. you need to practice your technique.
And if you're a lefty like me. . . this problem doesn't exist.

Why don't you explain your technique for the righty folks in here. . .

Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Went to the range today, put a hundred rounds or so down range and figured out my stock is too short for my liking, my face is practically squished up against the scope I have on it. Took some slow accurate shots with it and was fairly pleased but wanted to rip my cheap UTG bipod off of it ...guess you get what you pay for on that situation.
As for my charging habbits, I did try the under the gun charging technique again extensively, but I still dont think it feels too comfortable for me, Its much faster for me to use my right hand to charge it instead of going under the rifle with my left.

I know some people are purists about their AKs but this is a WASR 10-63 AKM....come on there isnt much "pure" about it IMHO. I specifically bought the thing to tailor it to my own personal ergonomics and I think this along with a collapsible stock with a adjustable cheek-piece will be my next purchase. Just know I wouldnt be doing this to anything other than and AKM variant, such as an Egyptian Maadi or type 1 or 2 AK-47.
I know it might seem silly or stupid to modify an AKM and not get a new gun but I'm doing what I can with what I got.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 AM   #16

my method is the old "ak reacharound" under teh gun, as such

i have seen a few ppl do the over the top method, but i just dont find it comfortable

and as for being a"purist" for teh most part, no, i dont like all of the add on useless crap being thrown on aks, but this is not an andustable stock or a galil handguard, this actually interfears with the DESIGN OF THE ACTION unlike the rest of the bolt on crap.

ig like to see the guys thumb come up a bit too high once and get whacked with that huge fast moving chunk of hand maiming reciprocating charging handle metal once. im sure that woldnt be a positive review for the web site.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:37 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Went to the range today, put a hundred rounds or so down range and figured out my stock is too short for my liking, my face is practically squished up against the scope I have on it. Took some slow accurate shots with it and was fairly pleased but wanted to rip my cheap UTG bipod off of it ...
My bi-pod was pretty lame too. In regards to the short stock: This is one of the (if not the) most common complaints from Americans when shooting AK variants. I have used both the 1-1/2" add on rubber "recoil pad" (mainly stock extender) as well as the slip in version from Pachmeyer. Both of them add length, comfort and improve your shooting.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never thought of the reciprocating metal part...but the same could be said about the left side charging handle system from the other guys. I'll be using a vertical grip on my AK before long so I dont think it'll be much of a problem for my thumb to get maimed.

As for a stock, I was thinking a CAA adjustable stock cause the ATI folding stock looks like it'd break under heavy use.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That would work for ya, but I stick to modifying the original furniture (in a tasteful, gentile way, of course) rather than add any plastic. But I'm a Carpenter so I'm prejudiced in regards to that stuff.

It's all a matter of personal taste my friend!

Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting. I take it you've done a stock or two?
I stained and added a protective coat for a decent looking furniture until I could get an adjustable stock and fore-end all in one online purchase.
I went from the bright colored laminated wood look to a very deep smooth 4-coat dark color on both the stock and fore-end. I only used Minwax stuff which was easier than I thought it might be, I pretty much ignored the whole "no steel-wool" thing cause I didnt have a dense enough brush when I put the protective clear coat on.