Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Different charging styles for an AK (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/different-charging-styles-ak-25193/)

Ruzai 03-26-2010 05:47 AM

Different charging styles for an AK

I've been pondering over this for some time now and was wondering what some of you gents opinions are on the topic. I know the Ak has a right side mounted charging handle and you can get a left handed charging handle from Colorado Shooting Sports.
I have a scope mount on my AK so the charging handle for the left side is incompatible with my set up, so I was wondering if any of you new about the Ratchet Charging system for the AK? Is it a good deal or would it affect accuracy or be prone to spraying me with the gasses since the gas-tube is opened up more for the ratchet?

Here's a couple vid links so you can see it.
http://www.dublinaksystems.com/videos.html
What do yall think?

diggsbakes 03-28-2010 01:11 AM

OK. . . I watched (sand test and all) it and it looks like it'll work just fine. However I have a couple questions:

Is the reason you are looking into this because you're a lefty?

I've been shooting every type of firearm my whole life left handed and find that the AK is about the most lefty-user-friendly semi rifle that you can get. Never caught brass in the face. It's light enough that you can pretty much hold it with the pistol grip while keeping a sight picture and reloading.

How many folks have you talked to that have used the thing throughout thousands of rounds of shooting?

I'm curious as to how it affects the perfection of the AK. . . That is RELIABILITY! Before I'd even consider it I would want to know from an independent tester how it functions outta the mud, sand, with no lubrication or cleaning extensively.

Looks like a good idea, but why mess with perfection? ;)

Ruzai 03-28-2010 04:52 AM

I'm not a lefty,I'm right handed so I shoulder on my right shoulder and all that, but I prefer a left handed charging handle because I dont like to go under or over the rifle to reload. This seems to speed up reloads and still look like it would work with a side mounted scope mount like the one on mine.
I havent talked to anyone about using the system, though I hear good things from reviews on it from people on the facebook page they have.
It looks like it would be a good addition to a decent AK and doesnt comprimise anything. I would by it to help my customizing my AK to be as ergonomicly effective as possible.
I was wondering if anyone had ever had any experience with any other type of charging system on the AK, especially this one.

diggsbakes 03-28-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzai (Post 258964)
I'm not a lefty,I'm right handed so I shoulder on my right shoulder and all that, but I prefer a left handed charging handle because I dont like to go under or over the rifle to reload. This seems to speed up reloads and still look like it would work with a side mounted scope mount like the one on mine.

Sorry man I guess I can see what you are trying to achieve . . but. . . I've never had problem working the carrier right or left handed on an AK. And I've never seen anyone reach over an AK to charge it in the first place. Righty's just keep their left hand on the lower hand-guard and butt stock pressed against shoulder while working the handle with their right hand. This method has worked for over 60 years and can get pretty speedy with practice.

Us lefty's either keep our left hand on pistol grip with butt stock pressed against shoulder, while working handle with right hand or reach over like the guy showed (himself) a right handed shooter doing. (which they never should).

AKs can be adapted to fairly easily by individuals dominant with either hand. I could see purchasing this product if you're a lefty and just can't catch on, but it makes no sense for rightys.

Just my opinion though brother. :)

Ruzai 03-28-2010 06:27 AM

I see where you're coming from and you have a good point. I like the accessory for the speed aspect of it and its custom look, its reminicent of a G3 style gun.

Some people argue that there's this big deal about taking your hand off the pistol grip, and ultimately away from the trigger, when you're a right handed person to operate the bolt but I dont see the big deal, do you?

diggsbakes 03-28-2010 06:39 AM

I could see a big deal if you don't know your gun. . . if you've practiced with it and are comfortable with it then I'm confident it's not a matter of life and death. Whether it helps or not it still is a damn good idea and I'm sure the fella will make $$$ off it. What's the MSRP?

Ruzai 03-28-2010 06:42 AM

Approx. $110 but it only replaces the gas tube and adds a gas-piston heat-shield and a bolt that attaches to it.

diggsbakes 03-28-2010 06:54 AM

Interesting. I shoot a right handed bolt gun lefty and I'd like to switch, but I've been shooting like that for so long I'm afraid that even though it would be more comfortable I might fumble around if a second shot was needed.

If he makes one for the right handed side I'll try one! Now that I thought about it I'm curious.

I still wanna know what It'll do in mud and such. I guess you could carry your gas tube with you?

Ruzai 03-28-2010 07:04 AM

Yeah, I'm going to email him about making one for lefties and maybe making different bolt heads as an add on. It seems like he's pretty busy making one for the Saiga versions right now though.
Regardless I plan on getting one, and I tend to treck through the woods a lot so if I get the chance I'll let you know if it works well with mud and what not.

A ratchet operated saiga 12 there's a weird thought :rolleyes:

diggsbakes 03-28-2010 07:17 AM

Right on ! Look forward to hearing about it.