difference between AK-47 and RPK?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > difference between AK-47 and RPK?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default difference between AK-47 and RPK?

Whats the difference between and AK and an RPK? Couldn't you just put a 24" heavy barrel on an AK, put a new stock on it, then add a bipod and drum magazine (or just reg magazine) and call it an RPK?
I was just wondering this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Whats the difference between and AK and an RPK? Couldn't you just put a 24" heavy barrel on an AK, put a new stock on it, then add a bipod and drum magazine (or just reg magazine) and call it an RPK?
I was just wondering this.
yup thats exactly what a rpk is. although the receiver is also reinforced on the rpk

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #3

Cool.

If someone wanted to take a regular AK (like a WASR) and make it into a semi auto RPK (minus the reinforce receiver), Where could they get the barrel? Also, would the receiver need to be reinforced, or is that more for a gun that will experience a lot of sustained full auto fire?

I think this would be a cool project.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Cool.

If someone wanted to take a regular AK (like a WASR) and make it into a semi auto RPK (minus the reinforce receiver), Where could they get the barrel? Also, would the receiver need to be reinforced, or is that more for a gun that will experience a lot of sustained full auto fire?

I think this would be a cool project.
reinforced reciever is really for sustained auto fire. you will need a barrel press and fixture for the ak chamber and muzzle so you dont mess up the barrel or reciever. if you dont have access to that stuff and only doing it once, its cheaper to just buy a rpk. the barrel drum/mags will be about 1/4 the price of a rpk by themselves.

then you will have two guns, instead of one gun and some tools your never gonna use again if your converting a gun you already own.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 AM   #5

I looked on gunbroker, and there is one for sell for $619. Century Arms AES10-B RPK AK-47 7.62X39 Rifle AES10 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com Looks like I'll just have to start saving.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

There are two over at dunhams sporting goods next town over from me one with wood stock one thats a wire side folder.

There is a company out there that currently makes rpd which is the belt fed version in semi auto format.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #7

Belt fed? Cool! Who makes them?

Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
There are two over at dunhams sporting goods next town over from me one with wood stock one thats a wire side folder.

There is a company out there that currently makes rpd which is the belt fed version in semi auto format.
yes, DSA i believe does make a blet fed RPD semi, and full auto for a little extra

Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5739 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by assain618 View Post
yes, DSA i believe does make a blet fed RPD semi, and full auto for a little extra
The belt in an RDP is carried in a "drum" beneath the weapon.

Early on, the Soviet Bloc replaced the RPD with the RPK. The RPK will take the detachable 75 round drum as well as standard 30 round AK magazines.

I think you'd be far better off with an RPK.

You can't legally buy, or convert a full auto unless the receiver was registered prior to 1986.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 02-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Belt fed? Cool! Who makes them?
Dsa makes em. I see em at gunshows now and then. Prices run 2-3000