Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   difference between AK-47 and RPK? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/difference-between-ak-47-rpk-55950/)

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 12:14 AM

difference between AK-47 and RPK?

Whats the difference between and AK and an RPK? Couldn't you just put a 24" heavy barrel on an AK, put a new stock on it, then add a bipod and drum magazine (or just reg magazine) and call it an RPK?
I was just wondering this. :D

JonM 01-21-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 683599)
Whats the difference between and AK and an RPK? Couldn't you just put a 24" heavy barrel on an AK, put a new stock on it, then add a bipod and drum magazine (or just reg magazine) and call it an RPK?
I was just wondering this. :D

yup thats exactly what a rpk is. although the receiver is also reinforced on the rpk

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 01:04 AM

Cool.

If someone wanted to take a regular AK (like a WASR) and make it into a semi auto RPK (minus the reinforce receiver), Where could they get the barrel? Also, would the receiver need to be reinforced, or is that more for a gun that will experience a lot of sustained full auto fire?

I think this would be a cool project. :D

JonM 01-21-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 683658)
Cool.

If someone wanted to take a regular AK (like a WASR) and make it into a semi auto RPK (minus the reinforce receiver), Where could they get the barrel? Also, would the receiver need to be reinforced, or is that more for a gun that will experience a lot of sustained full auto fire?

I think this would be a cool project. :D

reinforced reciever is really for sustained auto fire. you will need a barrel press and fixture for the ak chamber and muzzle so you dont mess up the barrel or reciever. if you dont have access to that stuff and only doing it once, its cheaper to just buy a rpk. the barrel drum/mags will be about 1/4 the price of a rpk by themselves.

then you will have two guns, instead of one gun and some tools your never gonna use again if your converting a gun you already own.

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 04:35 AM

I looked on gunbroker, and there is one for sell for $619. Century Arms AES10-B RPK AK-47 7.62X39 Rifle AES10 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com Looks like I'll just have to start saving. :D

JonM 01-21-2012 04:47 AM

There are two over at dunhams sporting goods next town over from me one with wood stock one thats a wire side folder.

There is a company out there that currently makes rpd which is the belt fed version in semi auto format.

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 05:58 AM

Belt fed? Cool! Who makes them?

assain618 02-06-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 683883)
There are two over at dunhams sporting goods next town over from me one with wood stock one thats a wire side folder.

There is a company out there that currently makes rpd which is the belt fed version in semi auto format.

yes, DSA i believe does make a blet fed RPD semi, and full auto for a little extra

locutus 02-08-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assain618 (Post 700754)
yes, DSA i believe does make a blet fed RPD semi, and full auto for a little extra

The belt in an RDP is carried in a "drum" beneath the weapon.

Early on, the Soviet Bloc replaced the RPD with the RPK. The RPK will take the detachable 75 round drum as well as standard 30 round AK magazines.

I think you'd be far better off with an RPK.

You can't legally buy, or convert a full auto unless the receiver was registered prior to 1986.

JonM 02-09-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 683937)
Belt fed? Cool! Who makes them?

Dsa makes em. I see em at gunshows now and then. Prices run 2-3000