Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Deer Hunting with AK 47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus

The AK round destroys flesh, the last time I hunted with an AK-74 I hit the hog twice as he was running, the first shot gutted a hole in his belly near his front shoulder that was freaking nasty, the second shot hit him in the hindquarters, it literally blew his whole ass off, it wasted 20% meat, had to cut around the enormous wound cavities.

Here's a picture of one that was hit...well it's obvious.

Here's a deer:
The 74 shoots a different caliber than the 47.... The AK47 shoots the 7.62x39 which is the same as an SKS...

Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #12

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I missed that he used a AK-74, thank you but that makes it even stranger for me because the 5.45 uses a 70gr bullet at 2460 FPS and 945 ft lbs of energy and the 7.62 is a 124 gr bullet at 2330 FPS and 1500 ft lbs. The 7.62 actually has more energy and all things being equal should do more damage. Could be that the bullet tumbled after hitting bone and tore up the meat. I had a 30-06 bullet do that and it ruined both shoulders of a deer. Ballistics are a fascinating thing!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #13

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
The 74 shoots a different caliber than the 47.... The AK47 shoots the 7.62x39 which is the same as an SKS...
Good point but after what I've seen, I'll just stick to good old American calibers.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
The round that the AK uses has about the same power of a 30-30. It's where you hit the animal that counts. If the 7.62X39MM was so powerful, that would make the 30-06 an anti-tank round as it's way more powerful than the 7.62X39. If you hit an animal with a raking shot, yes it will "zipper" it open and hitting it in the rump, you probably hit and shattered a bone which caused all the damage. I guess blasting away at a running animal can cause such issues, I never shoot and an animal unless I'm sure of a quick, humane kill. Yes that's right, in almost 40 years of hunting, I have never shot at a running animal. Walking yes, never running. The deer I shot with my SKS had no more damage than any other animal I've ever shot with way more powerful rounds.
The thing about hog hunting, is it's much more exciting than most hunters like, if you don't drop the boar on the first (which hardly ever happens) he's going to try to kill you, most people go with groups of 2 or more and they ALL FIRE if it's a big boy. check out this video, thead from the highroad. Wild boar shot from 200 yards with hp Rifle but survives, and charges. Shot with Colt Combat Elite .45 APC.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658
After re-watching, he's not even that big, he's just a pest but he'd still tear your damn leg off.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 09-20-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did the Hp rifle blow his leg to pieces? Is that why it's hanging like that? If so no wonder it charged, usually if you get a good shot on em they will drop in their tracks although that was a biggun but still looked kinda inhumane.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin View Post
Did the Hp rifle blow his leg to pieces? Is that why it's hanging like that? If so no wonder it charged, usually if you get a good shot on em they will drop in their tracks although that was a biggun but still looked kinda inhumane.
I agree but look at how many rounds it sucked up, Texas has 2-4 million tearing all kinds of property and agricultural up and one female births in the hundreds, all year, can't be poisoned, they are like rats with sharp antlers and the muscle mass of a hippo.

Last edited by Wiebelhaus; 09-20-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #17

Liked 4559 Times on 2205 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

Quote:
I've never hunted Hogs but would love too. From what I understand they are a an invasive and exceptionally destructive species that needs eradication more than management.

While I'm for striving to achieve humane kills on game animals, nuisance critters that are both aggressive and dangerous warrent no such consideration.

Tack
Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #18

Oh I know, I live in Florida so we have em also but not as bad as Texas. They are some beastly animals no doubt about that and not that I really care about em but seeing it squirm in pain kinda hurts(probably cause I'm thinking of cute lil potbelly pigs) but all the while I couldn't take my eyes off it lololol. I've also seen a video or two where they are dropped with a .40 cal handgun from 30 yards in 1 shot though so I could just imagine a Hp rifle. Ever watch the thermal hog hunts? Looks ridiculously awesome

Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #19

Not trying to thread jack though...I apologize back to the deer hunt with an ak-47 or was is 74? Lol

Old 09-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Not trying to thread jack though...I apologize back to the deer hunt with an ak-47 or was is 74? Lol
Yea, my bad.