Deer Hunting with AK 47

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Deer Hunting with AK 47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Deer Hunting with AK 47

I'm hunting whitetail deer with my AK 47 this year up here in Maine. I'm not sure if I have any questions about this choice, I guess I'm just excited. I was able to find a 5 round clip, from my local gun shop, which is the max allowed for hunting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I wish I could hunt with my AKs but I have to use a shotgun W/slugs or a pistol cal. rifle to hunt deer here in Indiana. Are you limited to soft point ammo or can you use hollow point?

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I was thinking "dude better get some soft point ammo". I hope it works out well for you.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Here in Ohio we are not permitted to hunt deer with rifles. So all i have to say to you is have fun!

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 09-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1895 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 5709

My Deer Gawd, We have states in this great union that won't allow the taking of deer with a Winchester 94?

This seems really unAmerican. It's just not right.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #6

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by heiztdiz View Post
I'm hunting whitetail deer with my AK 47 this year up here in Maine. I'm not sure if I have any questions about this choice, I guess I'm just excited. I was able to find a 5 round clip, from my local gun shop, which is the max allowed for hunting.
the AK will gut the damn deer.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL
My Deer Gawd, We have states in this great union that won't allow the taking of deer with a Winchester 94?

This seems really unAmerican. It's just not right.
Yup. Out here in the flatlands of Illinois, the politicians fear the shot in Carbondale ( that's way South) will injure them in the Chicago suburb of Springfield (where they party all night, year 'round on the taxpayer or lobbyist's dime).
"Sux to be Flat"

Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #8

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
the AK will gut the damn deer.
And why exactly is that?
I've hunted with my SKS and it works fine, so your AK should be fine too.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #9

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
And why exactly is that?
I've hunted with my SKS and it works fine, so your AK should be fine too.
The AK round destroys flesh, the last time I hunted with an AK-74 I hit the hog twice as he was running, the first shot gutted a hole in his belly near his front shoulder that was freaking nasty, the second shot hit him in the hindquarters, it literally blew his whole ass off, it wasted 20% meat, had to cut around the enormous wound cavities.

Here's a picture of one that was hit...well it's obvious.

Here's a deer:

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #10

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

The round that the AK uses has about the same power of a 30-30. It's where you hit the animal that counts. If the 7.62X39MM was so powerful, that would make the 30-06 an anti-tank round as it's way more powerful than the 7.62X39. If you hit an animal with a raking shot, yes it will "zipper" it open and hitting it in the rump, you probably hit and shattered a bone which caused all the damage. I guess blasting away at a running animal can cause such issues, I never shoot and an animal unless I'm sure of a quick, humane kill. Yes that's right, in almost 40 years of hunting, I have never shot at a running animal. Walking yes, never running. The deer I shot with my SKS had no more damage than any other animal I've ever shot with way more powerful rounds.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper