Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > cugir AK47 .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default cugir AK47 .223

Picked up a romanian AK .223 varanint made by Cugir.. traded an old Ruger .45 for it
Told me when we traded it was an inacurate p.o.s. i anit shot it yet and not expetingv a lot from it .. anit found to much on line wounderin if anybody has any experance with these and if after market parts will fit it?

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26 View Post
Picked up a romanian AK .223 varanint made by Cugir.. traded an old Ruger .45 for it
Told me when we traded it was an inacurate p.o.s. i anit shot it yet and not expetingv a lot from it .. anit found to much on line wounderin if anybody has any experance with these and if after market parts will fit it?
Hi Dave,
Is it a WASR 3? Marked 5.56? A Romanian WASR 3 was the first AK I purchased. I traded it in for an XD 45. It had horrible feeding issues which the gunsmith at the range couldn't even fix. That was several years ago, so I don't know if the newer ones are any good or not. Let us know how it shoots.

-John.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is marked STG 2003c 5.56x45mm other then that the only marks r the serial number and the other side says Made in Romania by Cugir/IO Inc. monroe, NC.. The guy i got it from in trade said u cant hit crap with it but it goes bang evry time. He was reluctant trade me try to convince me i didnt want it but he needed a .45acp and i had 1 i did not shoot much anymore so i anit out much if it junk it still looks cool

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 12-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
It is marked STG 2003c 5.56x45mm other then that the only marks r the serial number and the other side says Made in Romania by Cugir/IO Inc. monroe, NC.. The guy i got it from in trade said u cant hit crap with it but it goes bang evry time. He was reluctant trade me try to convince me i didnt want it but he needed a .45acp and i had 1 i did not shoot much anymore so i anit out much if it junk it still looks cool
I believe that it is indeed a WASR 3 with plastic furniture. I'd like to hear more once you get it sighted in and shoot it a bit. Thanks.

p.s.

Pics would be cool too.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARnoob View Post
I believe that it is indeed a WASR 3 with plastic furniture. I'd like to hear more once you get it sighted in and shoot it a bit. Thanks.

p.s.

Pics would be cool too.
Got it out today and just took 20 rounds with me to put threw it to see what it would do and sure enough it has feeding issues.. seems it is not pushin the bolt forward hard enough evry time to engage the extracter so bullet not seated in the bolt.. dont know if it from a week spring or the extracter is to stiff but it was still a fun gun to shoot when it did work for ten rounds or so

Dave

Denis Diderot

Old 12-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26

Got it out today and just took 20 rounds with me to put threw it to see what it would do and sure enough it has feeding issues.. seems it is not pushin the bolt forward hard enough evry time to engage the extracter so bullet not seated in the bolt.. dont know if it from a week spring or the extracter is to stiff but it was still a fun gun to shoot when it did work for ten rounds or so
Is it only doing I when you charge the handle or does it do it when you shoot as well?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Erase doudle post

Dave

Denis Diderot

Last edited by David26; 12-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coba29 View Post
Is it only doing I when you charge the handle or does it do it when you shoot as well?
Was doin it both when i charge it and every other shot when i shoot it for the first 4 shot then fired the rest just fine.. that was with some cheap .223 silver bear ammo he gave me with the gun... i bought 100rds of cheap 5.56 ammo have not Shot it yet but manualy racking it it feed 20 rds just fine will take it to the range after work and give er hell.. seems like the bolt gets slowed up by the hammer have way threw it tavel if u slowly close the action it will actualy get stuck there

Dave

Denis Diderot

Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #9

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
... seems like the bolt gets slowed up by the hammer have way threw it tavel if u slowly close the action it will actualy get stuck there
It's common for the WASR bolt to hang on the hammer if you hand cycle the action slowly but usually this doesn't happen when firing live ammo. I'd strip it down and inspect carefully, clean and lube and try good ammo.

AKs aren't as reliable in .223 as the original calibers but people do have success with them.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26

Was doin it both when i charge it and every other shot when i shoot it for the first 4 shot then fired the rest just fine.. that was with some cheap .223 silver bear ammo he gave me with the gun... i bought 100rds of cheap 5.56 ammo have not Shot it yet but manualy racking it it feed 20 rds just fine will take it to the range after work and give er hell.. seems like the bolt gets slowed up by the hammer have way threw it tavel if u slowly close the action it will actualy get stuck there
I had one that would hang up only when I charged the handle. Keep in mind that with an ak when you rack a round in you are not supposed to walk the bolt carrier forward, just let it go when it is in the back position. Also I do agree that it is te bolt carrier and hammer making contact. Those are the parts I had to polish to completely remove that issue. And also is it for the first four rounds when you have a full mag? And does it do it with every mag