Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   A couple of questions about my SKS. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/couple-questions-about-my-sks-23006/)

DarinCraft 02-04-2010 03:21 AM

A couple of questions about my SKS.

I have a Chinese SKS that I really enjoy shooting, but it looks like crap in my opinion. I want to cut the barrel off from the bayonet lug forward, however...

1) If I cut the barrel off, will it effect the gas system to the point I have to enlarge the gas ports? (If it is even possible to get to the ports to enlarge them).

2) I know crowning the barrel improves accuracy, but is it really necessary under 150 meters?

3) If crowning is needed then who does it?

Thanks
Darin

res45 02-04-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

1) If I cut the barrel off, will it effect the gas system to the point I have to enlarge the gas ports? (If it is even possible to get to the ports to enlarge them).
It's possible,it's one of those thing you want know till you do it. Also 16" is the legal length on the SKS anything less will be illegal.

Quote:

2) I know crowning the barrel improves accuracy, but is it really necessary under 150 meters?
YES no crown or bad crown,no ACCURACY

Quote:

3) If crowning is needed then who does it?
Usually done by a qualified gunsmith with the necessary tools to recrown the barrel.

crockett007 02-04-2010 12:18 PM

"it looks like crap"? Why did you buy it?

You are willing to destroy the value, possibly impede the function, make the rifle illegal,decrease the accuracy....all for the sake of appearance?

Hmmm......

My advice is to do none of the above. Sell or trade for something that meets your asthetic requirements.

robocop10mm 02-04-2010 01:32 PM

The SKS is never going to win a beauty contest. It is a utilitarian rifle. If you want something attractive, get a pre 64 Winchester M-70 with a fancy walnut stock and "look" at it. If you want something to reliably launch lead down range leve the Simonov alone.

DarinCraft 02-04-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

"it looks like crap"? Why did you buy it?
I didn't buy it and yes it looks like crap.

Quote:

You are willing to destroy the value, possibly impede the function, make the rifle illegal,decrease the accuracy....all for the sake of appearance?
Destroy the value? Really? The value of a $150 gun? Your kidding right?

The function of the rifle? Did you really miss the premise of this post? Are you so hell bent on telling me that you think I am superficial that you missed the entire question of whether or not it WOULD effect the function of the rifle? Did you miss the question about how it would effect the accuracy?

MAKE IT ILLEGAL, where in the world did I say anything about the finished length of the barrel. Give me a break, I am a retired cop for crying out loud.

Seriously, if you honestly make a point to throw comments around that have absolutely no constructive impact and do not answer the questions then why don't you go somewhere that is encouraged. I asked a simple question and did not deserve to have your response. I have never done anything to you.

Quote:

Hmmm......My advice is to do none of the above. Sell or trade for something that meets your asthetic requirements.
The purpose of this forum is to ask questions and sometimes those questions involve modifications that make a firearm more pleasing to the eye. So do you not do any mods that effect the appearance of the weapon? Why don't you maybe take some lessons on how to talk to people a little more professionally and maybe you will find you will get the same respect back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 224438)
The SKS is never going to win a beauty contest. It is a utilitarian rifle. If you want something attractive, get a pre 64 Winchester M-70 with a fancy walnut stock and "look" at it. If you want something to reliably launch lead down range leve the Simonov alone.

Thanks, I know it is a utility rifle, but all the junk that hangs off of the end of the barrel does not provide any function for me and generally takes away from the appearance. It is not so to me that I would want to get rid of it if I could not modify this portion, but if I could it would make the gun more enjoyable to me. As far as reliability of the rifle that was why I posted before I got out the chop saw...lol.

Thanks again Robocop,
Darin

orangello 02-04-2010 08:03 PM

Have you consider a change of clothes for it, like a T6 Tapco stock set? I have one & it made a good deal of difference in the appearance of the little rifle to me (don't hate me traditionalists, it wasn't in wood when i got it). Also, if the sights at the front end bother you so much, maybe a gunsmith could remove them for you & mount you a side rail & scope mount to use a red dot or something instead of the iron sights? Kalinka sells something called a "molot" mount setup that will sposedly get the scope pretty close to the top of the receiver without the need for much carpentry on your stock.

Anybody got info on how hard it is to just remove the part of the barrel with the front sight? It doesn't look like it requires a hacksaw, but i haven't done it.

Regarding the gas ports, i have seen a thread on that "SKS Survivor's board" forum about adding a couple more very small holes to the gas tube to reduce the distance & velocity of ejected cases. It doesn't seem like that would be the hard part of your project.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=55742.0 Check out the pic in that thread with no sight upfront at all. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=59533.0 Not sure which link is which, my people can be easily confused at times. ;)

The guys at that site are helpful, but less tolerant of levity and language in the on-topic parts of the forum, FYI. :)

robocop10mm 02-04-2010 08:11 PM

IMHO the only thing the SKS really "needs" is a little more length of pull. The stock was designed for small statured Soviet soldiers wearing heavy winter clothing.

orangello 02-04-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 224655)
IMHO the only thing the SKS really "needs" is a little more length of pull. The stock was designed for small statured Soviet soldiers wearing heavy winter clothing.

That is one of the main things i like about that t6; the extendabuttstock fits me much better. It's also quite fashionable in its OD greenness. :D

I actually had a failure to feed on mine, last time i shot it; that was the first, even with the cheapo ammo i use.

crockett007 02-04-2010 09:22 PM

I really meant no disrespect. Not all SKS's are $150 guns. Some are quite valuable, depending on where and when they were made. Even altering a $150 gun, per your statements would probably render it worthless for resale. From your OP, I have no way of knowing you are retired LE. Since the barrel length is already @ minimum legal length any cutting would create an issue.

Again, I am not trying to be a smart aleck. I still recommend that the best/easiest thing to do is to sell it and get something that is more to your liking. There are alot of unknowns in the questions you propose. My only point.

I offer my apologies for offending you. I hope you will accept.

regards,
Steve

orangello 02-04-2010 09:39 PM

Crockett, he may have one like my Chinese SKS with the 21.5" barrel, not sure.
I like having a couple of extra inches myself. ;)