Cosmoline!!! Need HELP... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Cosmoline!!! Need HELP...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
cbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Using your head will not stop the static that bullds up as you clean, not smoking is a no brainer.. I have a friend who is missing his left ear, both his nipples, his chest meat from the belt line up, and the left side of his face using gas in an open field. Some of you have been lucky, remember none of us want to be up for the Darwin award.

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 09-11-2008, 02:15 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Besides, gas is expensive!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #13

Go to Lowe's or H.D. to the paint stripping section. Get the stuff called TSP Substitute. Soak all the metal parts for about 15 min. and then get to work with assorted nylon brushes. I used an old toothbrush, a nylon gun brush that has the itty bitty toothbruch on one end, and an all purpose scrub brush. Then use Gun Scrubber to hose everything down. (it evaporates so no residue). The only thing I would have done differently is to use low heat( garbage bag & hot sun) before final cleaning. The reason being: no matter how clean you think you got it, after the first range session you'll have liquid cosmoline dripping out everywhere. Ask me how I know...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #14

Hey RL357,
I am starting a winter project soon. If you have any extra of that #2 kicking around, can I snag about, say, 275 gallons? Since you've got a whole truck full I mean...

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Hey RL357,
I am starting a winter project soon. If you have any extra of that #2 kicking around, can I snag about, say, 275 gallons? Since you've got a whole truck full I mean...

Sorry, I only go into Vt. as far as Pawlet. Unless you want to pay for the diesel fuel to get to your house. My truck gets 5 miles/gal. and diesel went way down in price - now it's only $4.39/gal.!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-11-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #16

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too...

Use mineral spirits to put the metal parts in. It will clean off the cosmo pretty quickly. A toothbrush/toothpick will help get it out of those tight corners.

As for the stock, I used Simple Green and hot water to get most of the cosmo out. THEN I went back and used turpentine to clear it out some more. Applied it with 0000 steel wool as I didn't want to damage the stampings on the stock. Once it dried, I gave it a couple wipes with Simple Green again and one more with turpentine to ensure all cosmo was out. I then used Tom's 1/3 military wax on the stock (used it on my Garand too).

I rubbed in a heavy layer of Tom's mix (available at www.thegunstockdoctor.com) by hand. Heat from my hand helped it soften and get absorbed. Let it sit for several hours (overnight is good). Wiped it down really good. Then applied another couple of layers with the 0000 steel wool to work it in better. Wipe and repeat until your stock is how you want it. I did this about 3 months ago on my rifles and I think they're thirsty enough that it is ready for another good coat and I'll be good for a while.

Here is how they came out:

Garand Before

Garand After (middle rifle)

SKS Before

SKS After

Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #17

I just finished cleaning the cos from a Yugo SKS. Get yourself a can or two of WD-40. Spray on, wipe off. Used Hopps #9 on the barrel. About two hours work and she looks just fine. Picked up some cheap terry throw-away cloths at Advanced Auto, and used paper towel as my bore patches.

Good luck, and don't listen to folks talking about gasoline etc, for this task. WD-40 used liberally and wiped of will do the trickl

NC Ken