Considering an AK.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Considering an AK.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Considering an AK.

Hi all. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan. I have been surfing the internet in search of a good AK. I think I've settled on an Arsenal SGL21-76. I would plan on replacing the stock with a CAA AR style sliding unit, the grip with a CAA piece and adding a CAA foregrip with a Surefire light. I'm also considering an EOTech 512.A65 optic. Does anyone know if the rail system that this rifle comes with is rigidly mounted and can support optics? Also, has any one here had any experiences with this company? Pro's and con's on this weapon? Thanks.

-Andrew

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know it can be hard to get to communicate from over there.

But the best one to ask that question to is the manufacturer.

If you can find a website for them, you should be able to ask your questions by email.

You might try Atlantic Firearms Atlantic firearms - AR15 & AK47 rifles - Olympic arms at wholesale - go look under "About US"

Thank you for your service for us.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If you are talking about the US made Arsenal (Las Vegas Nevada), I have one of their underfolders, and I like it a whole lot.

ARSENAL INC

I don't see the -76 or rail system, so maybe you are referring to the Bulgarian Arsenal. In any case I mounted an EOTech with the UltiMAK system:

AK-47 Scope Mount, Stocks, Mini-14 Scope Mount, M1 .30 Carbine Scope Mount

ak-eotech.jpg  

TXnorton

Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

To give you an idea look at:

Welcome to Krebs Custom - Custom Parts - Kalashnikov Rifle Parts

Scroll down to the bottom. In addition to what they have on their present page they say they are working to improve the former top mounted optics rail. I believe their intent is to increase rigidity and lessen the need to "re-zero" the rifle after field stripping. Their side mount optics rail is solid, but also requires removal to field strip/clean the rifle.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

SGL21-66 - like this one?
ARSENAL INC

You might contact Arsenal or K-VAR directly and ask them to be sure.

K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL21 Series – 7.62x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-47 Variant Rifles :: SGL21-76

That link shows the Arsenal SGL21-76

Slo

Old 12-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afi1 View Post
Hi all. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan. I have been surfing the internet in search of a good AK. I think I've settled on an Arsenal SGL21-76. I would plan on replacing the stock with a CAA AR style sliding unit, the grip with a CAA piece and adding a CAA foregrip with a Surefire light. I'm also considering an EOTech 512.A65 optic. Does anyone know if the rail system that this rifle comes with is rigidly mounted and can support optics? Also, has any one here had any experiences with this company? Pro's and con's on this weapon? Thanks.

-Andrew
I know quite a few folks that mount their optics off the railed forearms, some like them - some don't. Personally, I think I'd use one of the Picatinny rails that slides onto the side mount on the AK receiver:
K-VAR Corporation :: Scope Mounts :: KV-04S
I think that would be a bit more secure, as far as holding Zero on your optic. Also it sits in-line with the barrel, sits low enough where you might have close to Absolute Co-witness or at least a lower 1/3. Again, ask K-Var about that particular mount.

Other than that, Arsenal is one of the best AK's out there right now, and highly recommended.

Slo

Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #7

I'll be sure to look into the side mounts y'all speak of. I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of having to remove it to clean the weapon, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. I like the idea of the optic mounted to the front most rail if possiable. I do alot of reflexive fire drills, and with CQB type reflex optics such as those offerd by EOTech and Aimpoint, the further forward the optic is, the faster I can aquire the target. I will try and e-mail K-VAR and see if they can answer the question on the rail system. Thanks for the advice.

-Andrew