Considering an AK
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Considering an AK

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,404
Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default Considering an AK

Im new to AK's, I've built 18 AR's, and starting 19. I want an AK but would like to know if it is possible to build. I've heard of kits, in I'm sure parts aren't as readily available as AR parts. Has anyone built one? I'm reading up on the different AK's out there and considering an Arsenal , but would love to build one if possible.

__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,348
Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Default

The best days of AK building are past. Since foreign barrels can't be imported with parts kits any more. So it's more expensive to build now.

You need some rivet tools, access to a machine press is useful. It can also depend on if you start with a receiver that is already folded, braced, has the action rails welded in already and holes cut. You can start with a completely flat receiver that requires bending jigs, dimpling dies, a welder, other jigs and templates for cutting and drilling, etc.

So, yeah a bit more involved in AK building. They are "simple" in some ways, but an AR is so modular, that they are much easier to build and overhaul.

I'd get with a group of folks who have built AKs and share tools and experience if you really want to tacks one from the ground up.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,715
Liked 3168 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25
Im new to AK's, I've built 18 AR's, and starting 19. I want an AK but would like to know if it is possible to build. I've heard of kits, in I'm sure parts aren't as readily available as AR parts. Has anyone built one? I'm reading up on the different AK's out there and considering an Arsenal , but would love to build one if possible.
Sarge, I'd like to know how this works out for you. I'm not a builder myself but I recently got into the" other" side with a 12Ga. AK pattern., so I'm considering either an RPK type, since I have shot that twice at our home indoor range, or a Krinkov pistol type,..both are readily available to me here, and I can add the externals I want, hopefully without getting hosed. Also I suggest picking up a manual or downloading one for the model type once you decide. I think all of us were taught to load, shoot and clear jams on one, but not much else....
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,404
Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
The best days of AK building are past. Since foreign barrels can't be imported with parts kits any more. So it's more expensive to build now. You need some rivet tools, access to a machine press is useful. It can also depend on if you start with a receiver that is already folded, braced, has the action rails welded in already and holes cut. You can start with a completely flat receiver that requires bending jigs, dimpling dies, a welder, other jigs and templates for cutting and drilling, etc. So, yeah a bit more involved in AK building. They are "simple" in some ways, but an AR is so modular, that they are much easier to build and overhaul. I'd get with a group of folks who have built AKs and share tools and experience if you really want to tacks one from the ground up.
Doc, that's seems like some serious work. I'll look into it. Tools and resource aren't a problem, it's the knowledge of the platform. I'll do some reading and studying. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,404
Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Sarge, I'd like to know how this works out for you. I'm not a builder myself but I recently got into the" other" side with a 12Ga. AK pattern., so I'm considering either an RPK type, since I have shot that twice at our home indoor range, or a Krinkov pistol type,..both are readily available to me here, and I can add the externals I want, hopefully without getting hosed. Also I suggest picking up a manual or downloading one for the model type once you decide. I think all of us were taught to load, shoot and clear jams on one, but not much else....
DR,
I'll definitely be doing some homework in the books and manuals. I think I might buy one and see what I can strip apart and see if it's worth it. If I do it I'll definitely be posting in it.
__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 864
Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Im new to AK's, I've built 18 AR's, and starting 19. I want an AK but would like to know if it is possible to build. I've heard of kits, in I'm sure parts aren't as readily available as AR parts. Has anyone built one? I'm reading up on the different AK's out there and considering an Arsenal , but would love to build one if possible.
Like the Dr said "The best days of AK building are past." but that doesn't mean that there is no enjoyment in doing it yourself. Yes it does cost more to build nowadays than it does to buy because of the price of tools & parts have gone way up. In years past I have bought kits for as little as $58 that same type kit sells for over $500 now. If you look at it as just a hobby something to enjoy spend your time doing it with your own hands, then I would tell you to go for it. I would tell you to read as much as you can about the AK platform & building. I have built quite a few AKs but the best & most fun build was the first one. Because there is no one right way to build, you build it as you want with what tools & knowledge you have on hand at that time.
Here are a few links to get you started.
Build info; some links are old & may not work right.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK?blend=2&ob=1#g/uhttp://www.novarata.net/Linx310/index.shtml
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts2/
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/
Parts kit links
http://whatacountry.com/parts-kits.aspx
http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-polish-military-surplus-ak-47-parts-kit-with-wood-fixed-stock.aspx?a=1510520
http://ak-builder.com/
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51
Building tools
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?
dispatch=categories.view&category_id=169
http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=b52fe17f6 417ca74f46e0e5b8d4924e3
http://www.tothtool.com/
http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm

Good Luck with your build if you decide to try a build.
__________________

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

7.62 Man is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,404
Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man
Like the Dr said "The best days of AK building are past." but that doesn't mean that there is no enjoyment in doing it yourself. Yes it does cost more to build nowadays than it does to buy because of the price of tools & parts have gone way up. In years past I have bought kits for as little as $58 that same type kit sells for over $500 now. If you look at it as just a hobby something to enjoy spend your time doing it with your own hands, then I would tell you to go for it. I would tell you to read as much as you can about the AK platform & building. I have built quite a few AKs but the best & most fun build was the first one. Because there is no one right way to build, you build it as you want with what tools & knowledge you have on hand at that time. Here are a few links to get you started. Build info; some links are old & may not work right. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/BuildyourownAK?blend=2&ob=1#g/u http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/index.shtml http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/souptonuts2/ http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/ Parts kit links http://whatacountry.com/parts-kits.aspx http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/used-polish-military-surplus-ak-47-parts-kit-with-wood-fixed-stock.aspx?a=1510520 http://ak-builder.com/ https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51 Building tools http://ak-builder.com/index.php? dispatch=categories.view&category_id=169 http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=b52fe17f6 417ca74f46e0e5b8d4924e3 http://www.tothtool.com/ http://www.gunthings.com/galil.htm Good Luck with your build if you decide to try a build.
Thanks for the resources.
__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 48
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

AKs are not as 'buildable' or customizable as ARs. Main reason being, putting on parts is a lot more difficult then it is for an AR. So, if you want to buy tools just for a one time build. maybe up to a hydraulic press, well, honestly - I would think its not worth it.

However, AKs are great weapons and if you build something somebody else might want that is 'custom', the resale value would be epic I would think.

__________________
kott is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,088
Liked 1982 Times on 1073 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Default

I am not an AK specialist but I just ran into this and was wondering if it was worthwhile?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CVZ2008&name=Czech+VZ58+(Centu ry+Arms+Mod+VZ2008)+7.62x39+Rifle&groupid=11&utm_s ource=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=f1878e50f e-12062013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-f1878e50fe-18699169

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

JTJ is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,348
Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Default

Good rifles. Very well made. Parts and mags aren't quite as common as the AK but, a good quality gun to be sure.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes