Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   cluster f#@k of screw ups (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/cluster-f-k-screw-ups-94353/)

Ultimate_sig 07-24-2013 05:57 AM

I'm a pretty pleased person if you ask me right now but at mid day earlier today it was a different story

I have a Vepr AK and in order for it to load standard AK Mags it needs a bullet guide, so I ordered the part kit. Kit included a drill bit, tap, screw and bullet guide.
Screw up #1 I lined up the guide and took a punch and made a mark in the circle close to the barrel. I drilled it and then I tapped it, come to find out I drilled too close to the barrel and it didn't line up right with the guide so my immediate thought was I just effed up a $1k AK.

Screw up#2 so I decided to retry far enough from the 1St hole so the 2 wouldn't merge and more accurately so it would line up right. Today was a hot day and I was dripping sweat. My glasses were covered in sweat and fog so I lifted them up on top of my head so I could see. Just as I thought I was making good ground my tap broke. It snapped and because my glasses were on my head chunks flew into my eye, but luckily my reflexes shielded my eyes. I was upset I broke the tap and had to go buy another.

Screw up #3 because I had to move the bullet guide over from the center to the side my bullets would not load and had no idea why. I looked closer and realize the casings were getting caught on the guide. So I figured I wasted a good part of the day on something that wouldn't work. But after thinking on it after a smoke I relized it's because the guide is square it creates an edge to get caught on. So I eliminated that. I filled the edges and made it more of a ramp. I tested it and it worked. I then sanded it down with 400 grit and I polished it to ensure it would remain smooth and eliminate the risk of rust from exposed metal. I then installed it and made sure to loctite it. I then did a trial run of 5 rounds. It was the smoothest action my AK has seen.

Every one of my errors could have been avoided if I had taken my time and had been more cautious. I took a 10 min project and made it last 2 hours but this was the first time I have done anything like this. I think next time I'll take my time and check every aspect of what I'm doing.

therewolf 07-24-2013 10:04 AM

JMHO, but three things:

1.-DIY, and working issues like this out for yourself, is

self-empowerment of the highest sort.

2.-That pause to step back, relax, and think it over,

has saved more projects than I can even think to

remember.

3.-Show care, as you did at the end, to figure out

the step in the instructions they leave out,

EVERY TIME

and enjoy your new upgrade.

WebleyFosbery38 07-24-2013 10:18 AM

Sadly we all mostly learn how not to make mistakes from the mistakes we make! You made it work and thats all that matters in the end. The good move was the one you made when you backed off and regrouped, some people just keep pushing and thats when bad turns worse in the drop of a hat.

HOSSFLY 07-24-2013 11:59 AM

Sometimes the simplest tasks are the hardest to do :o

JTJ 07-24-2013 01:15 PM

The oldest rule in the book. Measure twice, cut once.

therewolf 07-24-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1313689)
The oldest rule in the book. Measure twice, cut once.

This sounds real simple, but if you measure

wrong twice, you still cut wrong.

CHLChris 07-24-2013 02:37 PM

One thing I've learned over years of DIY projects is I now let myself be slow the first time doing something new. I give myself permission to be thoughtful and spend the time. Second time I'll be faster, but the first time I need to learn correctly so I don't have to redo it.

I learned that from MANY times needing to redo work I already did, but way too quickly.

therewolf 07-24-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1313744)
One thing I've learned over years of DIY projects is I now let myself be slow the first time doing something new. I give myself permission to be thoughtful and spend the time. Second time I'll be faster, but the first time I need to learn correctly so I don't have to redo it.

I learned that from MANY times needing to redo work I already did, but way too quickly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS. So this.

therewolf 07-24-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1313662)
Sometimes the simplest tasks are the hardest to do :o

Another case of I wish I had a nickel for every 2 hour job that took

ten minutes, and every 10 minute job that took 2 hours.

Ultimate_sig 07-24-2013 07:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well gents here she is I finished her today after I revived the final part.

Before
Attachment 111251

After

Attachment 111252

The Vepr is different then most aks and in order to give it the AK alot had to be done.