Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Cleaning With Water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default Cleaning With Water

Does anyone owning an AK 47 clean their rifle with water? I don't as a rule. But lately the topic has come up with others that do. Just wondering.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #2

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 225

good to use water if your shooting corrosive ammo.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
Does anyone owning an AK 47 clean their rifle with water? I don't as a rule. But lately the topic has come up with others that do. Just wondering.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=OcFKCTfKENc&feature=youtube
???? Water

Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #4

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineHead View Post
???? Water
Water or water with ammonia followed with your regular gun cleaning solutions(Hoppes #9 or whatever you use). Then oil of course.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I shoot corrosive through mine and I always clean with windex and hot water. The primers leave salts and those are easily cleaned with hot water and windex. If im low on windex ive used dawn dish soap to neutralize the salts aswell. Damn near anything can be used to clean an Ak. And I usually lube mine with ATF fluid.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1373 Times on 934 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Water works fine for any gun. After heavy shooting I clean all my guns with hot water and dawn. I have had some of my guns for over 30 years. None of them have required more than preventative maintenance. I used to use joy before dawn got to be so popular. So many weekends I have shot 800 rounds with a shotgun or 500 rounds with a 22. When you shoot that much just a brush and rag is not going to clean your gun effectively.

By the way, no I don't use a spray bottle. I get a bucket full of hot water and dish washing liquid to soak the gun in. Then I use a hose to rinse the gun off. When I am finished washing the gun I blow dry the parts. Then I lubricate and reassemble the gun. Every time my guns are so clean they can pass a white glove inspection.

I have avoided little nasties that a lot of people experience like the gas tube blowing out on an SKS. None of my revolvers have carriage problems. The only parts that I wear out are shell stops on pump shotguns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-08-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The best way to clean the trigger housing group in my old M-14 was to run it under hot water, dry thouroughly, apply a light coating of oil. Do the same thing these days with my M1 Carbine.