cleaning up your furniture. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

cleaning up your furniture.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Don't mind at all. I had it as my phone background for a while.

The finish was a couple coats of minwax mahogany, and after it dried I used a water based stain that was "cranberry" for a single coat to bring the red out. Then minwax, hand rubbed poly.
Cranberry was the color?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Cranberry was the color?
Yes cranberry was the color if the water based stain. I don't have the stain any more and can't remember the brand. I just applied a single cost if it over the dried mahogany stain from minwax. After everything was dry I began applying coats of polyurethane.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes cranberry was the color if the water based stain. I don't have the stain any more and can't remember the brand. I just applied a single cost if it over the dried mahogany stain from minwax. After everything was dry I began applying coats of polyurethane.
so mahogony then cranberry? Or was it originally mahogany? Mine is unfinished .

Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 AM   #14

I completely stripped the furniture if any paint, stain, varnish, etc. using a chemical stripper.

Let that dry.

Used fine sandpaper just to smooth things out.

Used tack cloth to remove dust.

I applied minwax mahogany. (A couple if coats.)

Let that dry a day or two.

Then applied one coat of the water based cranberry colored stain.

Let that dry overnight.

Then applied polyurethane according to instructions.

Took 0000 steel wool to the poly after it dried, and buffed lightly to make the finish more matte than gloss.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1736 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 4214

Default Refinishing the furniture.

If I may offer my guidance.

When I refinished my AKM and others, I used a citrus based stripper since I do all my work indoors. I apply it as many times as needed to get it down to bare wood. In between each treatment I wash the wood with a eco friendly paint thinner that I buy from Wally World, (again, no odor) and let it air dry each time. Once the the natural wood shows through, I use a damp cloth and a clothes iron to raise any dents and fill any gouges with the appropriate wood filler if necessary. Once this is done I then take some Tru-Oil and hand rub it onto the wood. It puts a thin coat on the wood and I usually put three coats on it. It usually takes me a month to do all of this. I guess that you could say that I am meticulous (or anal) about my work.

If this is something that you want to try, PM me and I will walk you through it step by step since I did not do it here.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #16

Quote:
I completely stripped the furniture if any paint, stain, varnish, etc. using a chemical stripper.

Let that dry.

Used fine sandpaper just to smooth things out.

Used tack cloth to remove dust.

I applied minwax mahogany. (A couple if coats.)

Let that dry a day or two.

Then applied one coat of the water based cranberry colored stain.

Let that dry overnight.

Then applied polyurethane according to instructions.

Took 0000 steel wool to the poly after it dried, and buffed lightly to make the finish more matte than gloss.
forumrunner_20131007_191312.jpg

forumrunner_20131007_191324.jpg

forumrunner_20131007_191333.jpg

forumrunner_20131007_191347.jpg

Thanks man! I did as you said. I first went with red mohogony, I went over that with cabernet to give it a touch of red. I have got a coat of poly on and will do 2 more as they dry. Heres some pics. There are before and after in messed up order.
forumrunner_20131007_191208.jpg   forumrunner_20131007_191302.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post

When I refinished my AKM and others, I used a citrus based stripper since I do all my work indoors. I apply it as many times as needed to get it down to bare wood. In between each treatment I wash the wood with a eco friendly paint thinner that I buy from Wally World, (again, no odor) and let it air dry each time. Once the the natural wood shows through, I use a damp cloth and a clothes iron to raise any dents and fill any gouges with the appropriate wood filler if necessary. Once this is done I then take some Tru-Oil and hand rub it onto the wood. It puts a thin coat on the wood and I usually put three coats on it. It usually takes me a month to do all of this. I guess that you could say that I am meticulous (or anal) about my work.

If this is something that you want to try, PM me and I will walk you through it step by step since I did not do it here.
Thanks man. This is my first Ak and I wanted to go kind of cheap on it. This one is going to be kind of a beater. Maybe one day Ill put some real work into it. Sounds like you know ur ****.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Attachment 121635

Attachment 121636

Attachment 121637

Attachment 121638

Thanks man! I did as you said. I first went with red mohogony, I went over that with cabernet to give it a touch of red. I have got a coat of poly on and will do 2 more as they dry. Heres some pics. There are before and after in messed up order.
Looking good.

I found the poly to be quicker than the oil rubbed stocks. I've done them but like you, I figured that an AK didn't really need the time.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post

I like the oil finishes too. And can vouch for this method if you wang a really high quality finish.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #20
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

I like the oil finishes too. And can vouch for this method if you wang a really high quality finish.
I Had this done because I wanted a "darker" color to my M1A1,..but have since had it restored to the orig. color....
I'd like to do this on a future purchase though.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...