Cleaning my SKS - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion >

Cleaning my SKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the link southern6er. I can not get the retaining pin to break free. Walmart sells kerosene seasonally here so I will have to wait until I can make a trip to the hardware store to get some. I sprayed the bolt down with break cleaner again and this time I sprayed it down with compressed air, then oiled the firing pin. It seems to have fixed the problem.

After looking at some of the spent cases I am starting to wonder if the ammo I'd the problem. So far I've only shot wolf black box through it. I read that others have had problems with ammo from time to time. The primer strikes from the sks are heavier than any of my centerfire pistols and yet I have not had any problems with any of them in regards to failure to fire.

I have a box of some american made ammo I will try when I get a chance. Unfortunately it's only 20 rounds, and most of the wolf 20 round boxes all fire without a problem. I will post pics of the primer strikes the gun produces when I get a chance.

Last edited by Megaton; 04-29-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #12

I used a hammer and a hole punch to get the pin out. It took a few solid hits to get it out, but it came out on the 3rd or 4th strike.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

The metal my punch was made from must have been very cheap because the punch actually deformed. Believe me, I beat on that pin but it proved to be a worth adversary. I will have to get a better punch and give it another go. I do think that my problems are ammo related, the primer strikes are solid. The gun shoots fine, hasn't gone full auto on me or anything, but I am very careful with it just in case. When I can get in there and really give it a good cleaning I will feel much better about considering the gun 'battle ready' so to speak.

I like the gun alot. 50 yards from a knee 10/10 shots into center mass, similar results from 100 yards with iron sites, the gun is accurate enough for my current needs/wants.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmith01 View Post
I would suggest looking for Kroil. It's a cleaner that will take out just about anything. You can soak the parts in that overnight and it should come apart relatively easy. I have always had good results with Kroil.
+1000 - best stuff ever made - "the oil that creeps" into spaces as small as one-one millionth of an inch". I removed a broken exhaust manifold stud from the engine block of an 86 Mitsubishi, by hand, after applying a few drops to the broken stud and waiting 30 minutes for it to penetrate the threads. I ordered a gallon 15 years ago and just finished it. Paid $28/gallon from the manufacturer. The gun shops sell it for $12/pt. Order it from directly from Kano Labs ( the manufacturer) it's much cheaper that way.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #15

I detail stripped mine, put everything except for the furniture I could in the oven at 200 degrees for 1/2 hour. The cosmoline just drips out. Then take the parts and put 'em in a tub that's long enough for the barrel and fill the tub with TSP Substitute from lowe's or HD. An old tooth brush,and an old dish brush and a bore brush with CLP Breakfree and I was done. BTW expect to have more cosmo drips once you heat the barrel up while firing. Just clean it again.

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.