Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Cleaning Corrosive Residue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/cleaning-corrosive-residue-64237/)

Hendoproof 05-11-2012 01:23 AM

Cleaning Corrosive Residue

3 Attachment(s)
So upon further inspection of my muzzle break, I noticed a crap ton of residue left over from corrosive ammo I was shooting a while back. Any ideas on how to clean this easier? I've boiled water, let it sit, and scrubbed it to hell. I've let Ballistol and CLP sit on it for a while and tried scrubbing. In the pictures you can see spots of where it started to come out and there are spots left over that are tough to get out. It kind of looks like rust in the pictures but its not. I think it's cause I took the pictures with my phone's camera.

c3shooter 05-11-2012 02:03 AM

Not sure what you have there- possibly metal fouling. When all else fails- KROIL. Let soak for 24 hours. If there is anything there that should not be, KROIL will get between the base metal and the fouling, and break it loose. Brush lightly, flossing not required.

Hendoproof 05-11-2012 04:29 AM

How is Kroil on finishes, and do I need to completely submerge it in the oil or just coat and soak for 24 hours? Thanks

c3shooter 05-11-2012 10:37 AM

Kroil is a penetrating oil- never had any problems with bluing and Kroil. You can spray it or swab it on, let set.

trip286 05-11-2012 11:39 AM

I don't recommend it on nice personal guns, but when I was in the service I would chip that kind of crap out with a pocket knife. The Marine Corps even gave me a scraper tool designed for it.

Hendoproof 05-11-2012 11:45 AM

I'll try Kroil out, thanks.

Eh its a personal gun, but its the inside of the muzzle break so if thr Kroil doesn't work I'm using the pocket knife.

therewolf 05-11-2012 02:18 PM

Vinegar.(brown vinegar is the cheapest)(straight, do not mix)

1 part Janitor's Ammonia, 2 parts water and a teaspoon of Dawn. Mix.

Brush cleaner. (straight, do not mix)

Apply with Q-tips, clean up excess, use

one super-secret-patented-this -must-be-your-lucky-day

formula at a time, allow time to work in, wipe off.

hockeyjr1 05-11-2012 03:46 PM

Windex!!!!!!!!! Took all the residue off my ak quick... Let it sit for a while and rub off... Make sure u let CLP sit in it after to make sure the windex is all gone..

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Hendoproof 05-11-2012 04:10 PM

Idk if I'm sold on the windex thing, so much back and forth debate. Ill stick to water.

But this caked on **** is from over a month ago. It slowly came out in spots but I need to try some Kroil or some of those homemade recipes on it.

jordan89 05-11-2012 04:34 PM

I've heard of people using kerosene to clean that stuff off...never tried it though.