Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Cleaning an AK47, Ballistol or Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cleaning an AK47, Ballistol or Water?

I just got my first batch of corrosive russian ammo and I am concerned about the best way to clean it.

I have heard many say that water is best. But water causes rust.. I have heard that boiling hot water so it evaporates quickly, but it can still leave moisture and moisture causes rust.

Has anyone had any experience with Ballistol? I understand it is water soluble.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread and say hi.

Ballistol is good stuff. It does not dissolve in water, it DOES emulsify in water.

However, the issue with corrosive primed ammo is that the primer contains potassium chlorate- which burns into potassium chloride- a first cousin to sodium chloride- table salt. Potassium chloride is soluble in WATER- but not in most oils.

The standard method of cleaning firearms for LOT of years was HOT water to dissolve and flush that salt out, followed by a light coat of oil. Those firearms were also typically cleaned several times in the days after firing. Remember that ALL the M1 Garands, ALL the Enfields, ALL the Mausers, ALL the Mosin-Nagants, ALL the Carcanos, and ALL the Arisakas fired during WW 2 used corrosive primed ammo. And were cleaned mostly with hot water.

I use hot water, a drop of Dawn dish detergent, more hot water, dry patch, oiled patch. Would use Ballistol AFTER a hot water rinse, not instead of.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread and say hi.

Ballistol is good stuff. It does not dissolve in water, it DOES emulsify in water.

However, the issue with corrosive primed ammo is that the primer contains potassium chlorate- which burns into potassium chloride- a first cousin to sodium chloride- table salt. Potassium chloride is soluble in WATER- but not in most oils.

The standard method of cleaning firearms for LOT of years was HOT water to dissolve and flush that salt out, followed by a light coat of oil. Those firearms were also typically cleaned several times in the days after firing. Remember that ALL the M1 Garands, ALL the Enfields, ALL the Mausers, ALL the Mosin-Nagants, ALL the Carcanos, and ALL the Arisakas fired during WW 2 used corrosive primed ammo. And were cleaned mostly with hot water.

I use hot water, a drop of Dawn dish detergent, more hot water, dry patch, oiled patch. Would use Ballistol AFTER a hot water rinse, not instead of.
C3...any validity to using Windex to neutralize the salt or is all the benefit simply from the water it contains?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington