Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AK & SKS Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Cleaning an AK47, Ballistol or Water? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f19/cleaning-ak47-ballistol-water-45325/)

Namir-Bacha 07-17-2011 12:55 AM

Cleaning an AK47, Ballistol or Water?

I just got my first batch of corrosive russian ammo and I am concerned about the best way to clean it.

I have heard many say that water is best. But water causes rust.. I have heard that boiling hot water so it evaporates quickly, but it can still leave moisture and moisture causes rust.

Has anyone had any experience with Ballistol? I understand it is water soluble.

c3shooter 07-17-2011 02:12 AM

First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread and say hi.

Ballistol is good stuff. It does not dissolve in water, it DOES emulsify in water.

However, the issue with corrosive primed ammo is that the primer contains potassium chlorate- which burns into potassium chloride- a first cousin to sodium chloride- table salt. Potassium chloride is soluble in WATER- but not in most oils.

The standard method of cleaning firearms for LOT of years was HOT water to dissolve and flush that salt out, followed by a light coat of oil. Those firearms were also typically cleaned several times in the days after firing. Remember that ALL the M1 Garands, ALL the Enfields, ALL the Mausers, ALL the Mosin-Nagants, ALL the Carcanos, and ALL the Arisakas fired during WW 2 used corrosive primed ammo. And were cleaned mostly with hot water.

I use hot water, a drop of Dawn dish detergent, more hot water, dry patch, oiled patch. Would use Ballistol AFTER a hot water rinse, not instead of.

Jpyle 07-17-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 543448)
First, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by the intro thread and say hi.

Ballistol is good stuff. It does not dissolve in water, it DOES emulsify in water.

However, the issue with corrosive primed ammo is that the primer contains potassium chlorate- which burns into potassium chloride- a first cousin to sodium chloride- table salt. Potassium chloride is soluble in WATER- but not in most oils.

The standard method of cleaning firearms for LOT of years was HOT water to dissolve and flush that salt out, followed by a light coat of oil. Those firearms were also typically cleaned several times in the days after firing. Remember that ALL the M1 Garands, ALL the Enfields, ALL the Mausers, ALL the Mosin-Nagants, ALL the Carcanos, and ALL the Arisakas fired during WW 2 used corrosive primed ammo. And were cleaned mostly with hot water.

I use hot water, a drop of Dawn dish detergent, more hot water, dry patch, oiled patch. Would use Ballistol AFTER a hot water rinse, not instead of.

C3...any validity to using Windex to neutralize the salt or is all the benefit simply from the water it contains?