Are chrome barrels completely necessary?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AK & SKS Discussion > Are chrome barrels completely necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Are chrome barrels completely necessary?

I am one who is a fanatic about keeping my guns clean. There are some very nice lower prices aks out there that dont have chrome barrels. Even with corrosive ammo, if you cleaned the barrel after shooting, and lubed it well, would it last?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

I would think you should be ok. There are a lot of old guns that shot a lot of corrosive ammo that, when properly cared for, lasted a long time. IMHO, chrome barrels are made to counteract potential neglect. If you will be cleaning thoroughly and regularly, the gun will be fine.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 02-15-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

chrome lining is to prolong barrel life under continous use. unless your cranking off thousands of rounds a month rapid fire or full-auto the barrel doesnt need a chrome lining.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1273 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

The guys are correct. In reality how hard is a rifle to clean anyway! Give me a break!
Yes, to Chrome Lined Barrels if they are going to be used in a select fire weapon with high volume of fire or a semi's with a large volume of fire causing intense heat in the throat area of the weapon. Heat and improper care is the number one enemy to a barrels life and accuracy. Or if the rifle is to be used in a salt water environment for example or in a very humid environment like the tropics a chrome lined barrel is a good idea. But even in a water environment if the operator does at least a reasonable amount of cleaning, lubricating and maintenance there should be no problem. I addition, one other factor to consider. As a general rule the Stainless and Chrome Moly barrels unlined are more accurate. Not by a bunch or enough to effect a tactical wepon but they are regarding 1 MOA or less groups in particularly the AR Rifles. The corrosive issue could cause more attention to cleaning but if you followed immediately with cleaning after your range outing should be no problem. First of all corrosive ammunition will never be used in any of my weapons because I prize them too much. But to each his own!

Last edited by Sniper03; 02-15-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: correction of comment

Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Are chrome barrels necessary

I also agree, i have a 51 russian sks not chrome, great landings shoots a bit more accurate then most chrome, and i use yugo mildly corrosive never had a problem, but i am a true believer in good maintenence. Basic 101 shoot, clean, and your ready to shoot again. Just look for a good sound gun, that you like and you'll be fine. Good Luck"

Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

To me the chrome lined bbl is easier to clean but they seems to lose a little in accuracy. I have an M70 that does not have the chrome lined bbl that outshouts other comparable rifles that have it. Being none o my 7.62x39's are full auto I really can't see a reason for the chrome to be a deal breaker. Being the results I've had with the thousands of rounds in the M70 I don't see me looking at another that has the CLB as being much more than a little easier to clean.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default corrosive ammo

What kinds of ammo should I look out for. I know most russian ammo is real dirty, but is it bad for the gun? What about other countries ammo?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default are chrome barrels

I have shot lots of wolf with no problems, but i personally like the yugo m67 it's mildy corrosive.but never been a problem in my ak or sks. I like that it's brass and they improved on the bullet over the russian m43. It's a bit more accurate and a lot nastier. It yaws at 2-3" compared to 6-7" with the russian. Thats just my personal opinion. They are also less $.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've shot tons of Wolf and Sellier & Bellot. The great things about AK type rifles is they will eat and eat.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2972 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjj342 View Post
What kinds of ammo should I look out for. I know most russian ammo is real dirty, but is it bad for the gun? What about other countries ammo?
I run the cheap Wolf ammo through my SKS with no issues. In the 90's I ran whatever they had at the closest pawn shop, it all works. "Dirty" ammo is not really a problem since you will be cleaning it after each use.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld